Manual to Power Steering

-

Kermit_T_Frog

Reaction score
Will I be able to use all my current steering parts including pitman if I swap my manual box for a powered one? I have all new suspension parts but I really want power steering.

to go from manual to power steering you will need to have a power steering box, correct lines, pump, 3 groove main pulley, full power steering column, and power steering pittman arm.

So the manual column won't work? Thanks I was just about to go get the box but, now I will wait until later. Too many Irons at the moment.

no the manual column won't work. i just did the conversion from manual to power on the wifes swinger so i know what you are about to go through.....

it is an undertakeing...but i think it was worth it ,and so does the wife as it is her car! drives and steers very smooth now.

Year model makes a difference too. Earlier models used the same pitman arm for both man. and pwr.
A manual steering colum is about 3 inchs longer that power. It has shear pins in it making it colapsable so many just colapse it for the fit.

Kermit, do you need a ps column? I have one I can let go pretty reasonable. How about the other items? Pump? Will a /6 pump work for a V8? I would think the brackets would be different...
C

You shouldn't have any problems finding someone wanting to trade you their power set up for your manual set up. Most people that are pepping up their rides are going from power to manual. Its one less item robbing HP.

I just collapsed mine. Function over form. switch out the steering coupler good to go

Only problem is you have to find someone before they do the conversion, since you can buy those little adaptors to convert the power steering column for use with a manual box . I'd offer up mine, but the swap I'm doing is on my E-body, which won't help you much.

You can collapse the column, but keep in mind thats there for a reason, and its not to swap in power steering, its to keep the column from crushing your rib cage in case of an accident. If its already collapsed, there's nothing left to take up the impact.

Just running ideas through my head. It's a 68 Dart GT. I don't think I'm going to swap just now. I have a limited budget and am concentrating on the paint and body at the moment. It will be done eventually though. Thanks Guys

-
Back