Manual vs power rack and pinion

-

highspeeddirt

Reaction score
So considering doing the coilover conversion front suspension on my 67 Barracuda. I like the idea of manual rack and pinion for minimizalization, but is there a big difference between manual and power rack and pinion? Not really going to be doing any strip time. Just cruising, shows, and would eventually like to do the HRPT before I die. My car was a factory PS car. Is it worth the little extra for the power rack? Thanks!

I would say steering effort is the only down side and that will be offset by the gear ratio in the rack which would bring you back to 4-5 turns lock to lock. Power Rack would probably be closer to 3 turns lock to lock with minimal effort.

Personally I have manual stock 24:1 in my dart and it is not a problem.

My dad always said "The parts you don't add don't cause you no problems" and "KISS" - Keep It Simple Stupid.

words to live by!

As stated factory Ford power racks are a faster ratio. My dad put a manual MII rack in his 36 Pickup with a 302 and promptly switched to power. Being in his 70's and the slow ratio were why. I hated my manual box because of the slow ratio. Now I have a Stage III Firm Feel box and low pressure Saginaw pump and I'm happy.

The advantages of a power rack besides the power assist (one finger turning at low speed) is increased caster. Greater caster yields better high speed stability but also requires more effort to turn the steering wheel (rack).. Hence the whole reason for power (assisted) steering.

Personally, I have come to enjoy the one finger turn, especially when backing up more than the high speed stability.

Last edited:
-
Back