Manual VS Power Steering (I'm in need a Manual shaft)

-

IndianaDodge

Reaction score
I would like to go manual Steering in my 70 Dart... I like the feel of the manual steer over power, and more room for headers is always a plus! Also looking for a manual shaft to turn my 70 (floor shift) steering column into a manual!

What do you all think or your preference on Manual vs Power? Thanks!

I like man steering too. However, if the search for a shaft doesn't work, firmfeel.com has a adapter, so does flaming river. I have the flaming river one, and love it so far. It is the only one that deletes the factory rag joint, which is where I have had header clearance issues.

Here is a PIC...

Attachments

• P1010430.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 324
I had power in my street/strip duster converted over to the Flaming river box and coupling much more control over the car and it just feels so much better..

Flaming River manual box here to I would never go back to the over power'd steering!

I wont go back to manual steering or that huge steering wheel.

I'm thinking the last time I changed over to manul steering I just pulled the shaft out of the colume??

What do you all think or your preference on Manual vs Power? Thanks!

My 68 Barracuda was orignally manual steering. I switched to Power Steering and it was one of the best upgrades I have made to the car, on par with the swap from a \6 to the 360.

Manual steering has a ratio of like 24:1 verse 16:1 of power. The swap to power took a slow responding hand full not to mention the slow speed thrashing in a parking lot and turned it into a nibble and quick handling performer.

I will agree that the power steering on mopars from this vintage is way over boosted but there are several things you can do to correct it. The most expensive is to swap in a rebuilt box from Firm Feel or Steer N Gear, these can be had in several levels of firmness. The cheapest if you have a pump with the pressure port on the back is to remove the pressure fitting and place a 0.040" thick washer under the cap of the pressure relief valve to lower the pump pressure (a slant \6 specific pump already has this done). The last is the alignment specs. The factory power spec for caster is +.75, you want to get as much + caster as can be dialed in while maintaining camber. Modern car will have +3 degrees of more. The additional caster will help the car track better (especially if you are using radial tires) and increases the effort to turn the wheels off center. To get to the +3 degree range may require the use of the Moog offset upper control arm bushings but the first thing would be a trip to your local front end shop, one that will take input on how you want it aligned an not just do what the book says.

There is a reason that virtually all new cars have power steering, even ones that are smaller and lighter than an A-body.

I vote manual. More room under the hood, one less thing to go wrong. I'm a big fan of the K.I.S.S. principle

My 68 Barracuda was orignally manual steering. I switched to Power Steering and it was one of the best upgrades I have made to the car, on par with the swap from a \6 to the 360.

Manual steering has a ratio of like 24:1 verse 16:1 of power. The swap to power took a slow responding hand full not to mention the slow speed thrashing in a parking lot and turned it into a nibble and quick handling performer.

I will agree that the power steering on mopars from this vintage is way over boosted but there are several things you can do to correct it. The most expensive is to swap in a rebuilt box from Firm Feel or Steer N Gear, these can be had in several levels of firmness. The cheapest if you have a pump with the pressure port on the back is to remove the pressure fitting and place a 0.040" thick washer under the cap of the pressure relief valve to lower the pump pressure (a slant \6 specific pump already has this done). The last is the alignment specs. The factory power spec for caster is +.75, you want to get as much + caster as can be dialed in while maintaining camber. Modern car will have +3 degrees of more. The additional caster will help the car track better (especially if you are using radial tires) and increases the effort to turn the wheels off center. To get to the +3 degree range may require the use of the Moog offset upper control arm bushings but the first thing would be a trip to your local front end shop, one that will take input on how you want it aligned an not just do what the book says.

There is a reason that virtually all new cars have power steering, even ones that are smaller and lighter than an A-body.

If you go with the Flaming River manual box it is the same 16:1 ratio as the factory power box.

I don't see crap on Borgeson's site. Did you call the guy or what? I need a power to manual adapter, too and was just figuring Flaming River.
I'd love to save a few bucks though:)

-
Back