manuel valve body

-

gashaller

Reaction score
is it ok to use a reverse pattern manuel valve body for street use, I am changing from a 904 toa 727 I have a 71 dart swinger w/318

I do. I used to love 4 speeds. Now, in my old age, I can't row them around anymore.

ive run em for 20 years.they can be hard on the drive line.make sure u joints and rear are in good shape

Yep. My 904 I have for sale has it and a 4200 stall. It's a cope and I loved it for the 1000 miles I used it

People do but be aware that most manual valve bodies don't have low gear braking so do not downshift into 1st gear unless you're at a stop cause you'll overspeed the front drum and can make it explode

BTW: why are you switching to a 727? They suck quite a bit more power to spin them (some reports say up to 25 hp) and considering you're running a 318 I'd guess you don't have a lot of power to lose.

People do but be aware that most manual valve bodies don't have low gear braking

Mine is that way. If I live long enough to get the 42r / A500 project going, I'll use a different valve. I don't HAVE to have a reverse pattern. If you are "concerned" you could always build a simple lockout for the shifter which would prevent slamming neutral from 3rd on a forward pattern.

Yes, me too. John Cope 904, manual vb, reverse pattern. About 2500 miles on it and love it. Pushing about 580 hp thru it. However, I don't have huge tires and I have not had it on the track.

Mine is that way. If I live long enough to get the 42r / A500 project going, I'll use a different valve. I don't HAVE to have a reverse pattern. If you are "concerned" you could always build a simple lockout for the shifter which would prevent slamming neutral from 3rd on a forward pattern.

The problem isn't from accidentally slamming it into neutral. The problem is mainly related to 727's only and is because of no low gear braking you can over speed the front clutch carrier if you downshift to low gear. That can make the front drum explode like a grenade. Due to the smaller (compact) diameter of the front drum in a 904 or A500 they aren't as prone to exploding

The problem isn't from accidentally slamming it into neutral. The problem is mainly related to 727's only and is because of no low gear braking you can over speed the front clutch carrier if you downshift to low gear. That can make the front drum explode like a grenade. Due to the smaller (compact) diameter of the front drum in a 904 or A500 they aren't as prone to exploding

Thanks for the comments. I just meant that a forward VB "with some shifters" is easy to miss and hit N when getting frisky.

Manuel valve body is clearly a Mexican shifter!!

Thanks for the comments. I just meant that a forward VB "with some shifters" is easy to miss and hit N when getting frisky.

Point in case... A FPVB will not work with a factory shifter. You need a RPVB that hits the detents.

Factory console shifter? I have a forward pattern MVB but have a column shift.

I'm not sure how the column works but the console shifter only hits detents going away from neutral. So you need a RPVB otherwise you are asking for trouble.

-
Back