Map and Glove Box Light Help

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
So I've been stumped for the past couple weekends trying to figure out why my map and glove box light do not turn on with out my head/park lights being on.. This is on my 71 Scamp.

First off I do not have stock wiring. I installed the EZ Wiring kit last winter. I used the stock schematic to help get a guideline how it should be done, based off of the original wiring. I will however tell you how I have my car is currently wired, I hope you can follow along and it makes sense, oh and I made a rough schematic for you to follow along. So here we go.

1) 12V + from the fuse block, over to the passengers side then splits going to one terminal on the map light and to the glove box light
2) Out of the second terminal on the Map Light to one terminal on the Map Light Switch (MLS)

Ok bear with me here since #3 is a little more detailed.

3) The other terminal out of the MLS goes to a wire splice which contains 3 wires into 1 wire. 1 wire goes to Drivers side door switch, 1 wire goes to the passenger side door switch, 1 wire to the MLS. Then 1 wire to the HLS to the D terminal.

Now if I followed the stock schematic correctly this is how it should be wired, but I just dont get it. I figured I should be able to turn the Map Light on or open the Glove Box at anytime and the lights would work. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

View attachment Wiring.jpg

Ok, still pondering this.. I came to another conclusion while going over the schematics. I actually wired it exactly like the schematic but I've swapped to aftermarket gauges. I cut up the cluster and removed everything but the plastic bezel. Then I made a plate to mount all the gauges, but the cluster is no longer grounded which means the head light switch is also not grounded. I think I've solved my own problem. Time to try it out.... Carry on. Nothing to see here!

What you're asking for is, in my opinion, built in battery killers.
I don't need a map light, glove box light, trunk light, or under hood light, before sundown. After sundown the headlights would be on and those additional lights would get power.

Totally understand what your saying... So to humor me. The way it is wired in the schematic above is the same as the factory wiring.. None of those options worked until I redid the wiring.. Do those lights only work originally when the head lights are turned on? If so then Im not going to worry about it.. I was just thinking that I wired something wrong and didnt want some sort of short that could cause a issue.

I cant answer that. Someone with a 71 model that included these options and has the factory wiring will need to chime in here.

Looks like you have it correct.

Is your +12v always hot or only hot when the lights are on?

The +12v should be always hot and typically was tied into the RED 16 lighter feed for the glove and map lamp power.

The glove box light should go on whenever the door is open, light switch on OR off

Looks like you have it correct.

Is your +12v always hot or only hot when the lights are on?

The +12v should be always hot and typically was tied into the RED 16 lighter feed for the glove and map lamp power.

That may be part of the problem. I have the map light on switched 12v. Unlike the dome light circuit, which is always hot. Hence why the dome light comes on when the doors are opened.

The glove box light should go on whenever the door is open, light switch on OR off

Thank you!

Just to chime in here, but could you post a digram of how its susposed to be wired as I have even installed a new under dash wiring harness but still no map light or courtesy light or glovebox light.
Thanks

Does anyone have a diagram or an idea on the hook of the maplight and glove box light on a 71 dart? any help is very welcome. Thanks

My diagram above is wired like the factory wiring for a 71. Except the power wire should always be hot, and not switched.

Ok, Thanks, wasn`t sure about the diagram. mine has the courtesy light with the map light and the glove box light. Thanks very much

If that is your actual schematic of the wiring you have more than one issue. Looks like the only ground path is through the door switch. So the door has to be OPEN plus the switch turned ON before you will get a map light. I have a 73 chassis manual in the truck and will take a look. But I would wire both the glove box light and the map light to an always "on" hot lead on one side, then pick up ground through their respective switches. Ground the LEFT side of your switch in the drawing above. And hook the door switch to the RIGHT side of the map light switch. The headlight switch should not even be in the circuit whatsoever.

If that is your actual schematic of the wiring you have more than one issue. Looks like the only ground path is through the door switch. So the door has to be OPEN plus the switch turned ON before you will get a map light. I have a 73 chassis manual in the truck and will take a look. But I would wire both the glove box light and the map light to an always "on" hot lead on one side, then pick up ground through their respective switches. Ground the LEFT side of your switch in the drawing above. And hook the door switch to the RIGHT side of the map light switch. The headlight switch should not even be in the circuit whatsoever.

His diagram is correct. The switch passes the door signal ground in one posistion and shorts the lampside to case ground in the other posistion.

I agree w/ Redfish. Regardless of factory, if re-wiring I would power the map & glove-box from the ACC circuit, meaning it only lights w/ the key in. I hate cars that power those (or trunk light) from an always-hot circuit. Too much risk of running the battery down.

I do understand why you say that Bill. I've already done it LOL.

The good thing is I left the switched wire connector in place under the dash so all I have to do is unplug the constant hot wire and swap it over to the switched if I mess up again. Thanks for your input and thoughts.

-
Back