map light

-

challenger_moe

Reaction score
ok so does the map light toggle turn on the overhead dome light? I ask because mine does not do anything. Also if it does, is this tied to the door actuator switch for the dome light? My driverside switch seems to not be working but the passenger side one turns on the dome just fine. Just wondered if the two are tied together.

If I remember right, the map light toggle switch, turns on the light located on the passenger side under the glove compartment.

I BELIEVE the map light switch is internally grounded, and therefore must be mounted to ground. One way, the map switch grounds the "bottom" side of the lamp and turns on the lamp. With the switch "off" it routes the map light to the left door switch, so that the map light comes on with dome lights.

If I'm reading this correctly you are having trouble with your dome light and are thinking it has something to do with the map light??

I think I had the opposite problem as you, I thought my map light wasn't working and found out differently. I was working on the map light with the door open for room and comfort, then by accident after I had given up on it and shut the door the map light came on. I wasn't really happy about this but it make sense because if you have a door open the dome light is on and you really don't need a map light. All that being said they must be connected somehow??

Sounds to me that you have a bad door switch. My map light has a plug type connection so I would say unplug the map light if you think it is causing the problem. Good luck with this... I hate dealing with electrical issues.

If I'm reading this correctly you are having trouble with your dome light and are thinking it has something to do with the map light??

I think I had the opposite problem as you, I thought my map light wasn't working and found out differently. I was working on the map light with the door open for room and comfort, then by accident after I had given up on it and shut the door the map light came on. I wasn't really happy about this but it make sense because if you have a door open the dome light is on and you really don't need a map light. All that being said they must be connected somehow??

Sounds to me that you have a bad door switch. My map light has a plug type connection so I would say unplug the map light if you think it is causing the problem. Good luck with this... I hate dealing with electrical issues.

didnt know that the map light wont turn on when the door is open. think that is the issue with the map light but my dome light still doesnt work when drivers door is open only passenger, worked last week so I think my door switch might have gone out. Also my dash lights arent working now, fuse is good so one more thing I have to investigate.

didnt know that the map light wont turn on when the door is open. think that is the issue with the map light but my dome light still doesnt work when drivers door is open only passenger, worked last week so I think my door switch might have gone out. Also my dash lights arent working now, fuse is good so one more thing I have to investigate.

Please re-read my post. They may not be the same for all years, what year/ model IS yours? The 74 diagram shows a double throw map light switch.

ONE way it is "on"

OTHER way it is routed to the double contact door switch on the driver door.

Please re-read my post. They may not be the same for all years, what year/ model IS yours? The 74 diagram shows a double throw map light switch.

ONE way it is "on"

OTHER way it is routed to the double contact door switch on the driver door.

its a 72

Pull the switch and disconnect Use a meter from the electrical pins to the switch ground ears. One way, one pin should show continuitiy to ground

porblem solved. Once i got the door switch out I foud it wasnt conected all the way, and the map light wont work if there is no bulb in it! lol.

-
Back