March pulley question??

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I got the March pulley kit for my 360 and was wondering if anyone has ever changed out the alternator pulley?

I realize that the old one has to be pressed off and the new one pressed on but do I have to take the alternator apart?

DSC01657.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01659.jpg

technically, chrysler alternators have to be taken apart to have the pulley pressed off and then on.

I used a Proto tools bar type puller. A small 3 arm puller would also work. When I put the new one on I put a couple layers of masking tape over the end of the pulley and used a Craftsman hard plastic hammer. It still kinda mars up the pulley but the cover hides it. I put the water pump and crank pulleys on first, mounted the alternator and drove the pulley on just far enough to line up the belt. I didn't want to go to far and have to pull it back out to align it.

I Bought The March Pulley Serpentine Setup For Mine. I Took My Alternator To A Local Electric Motor Place. They Did Not Charge Me Anything To Do. It Might Be Worth Checking Into.they Have The Proper Tools For It And Probably Won't Charge You Much.

technically, chrysler alternators have to be taken apart to have the pulley pressed off and then on.

That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I've read somewhere that someone had to take it apart to do theirs but don't remember where I seen it. I don't mind taking it apart but if anyone had any tricks without taking it apart it sure would be nice. I guess it would be better to take it apart.

I Bought The March Pulley Serpentine Setup For Mine. I Took My Alternator To A Local Electric Motor Place. They Did Not Charge Me Anything To Do. It Might Be Worth Checking Into.they Have The Proper Tools For It And Probably Won't Charge You Much.

Me 2. Exactly the same thing. I took it down to a spot and they said leave it here for an hour. Came back after lunch and they just saidl; "No charge, have a good day"

Thanks I'll have to check around.

Its easy to take the alt apart. As long as you have a press it will go on very easy, use a little lube and dont press it on till it bottoms on the housing. while its apart you can give it a paint job.
picture005ew7.jpg

-
Back