masking tape wont come off?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
So I taped up my car and did a rattle can flat black. Of course the tape i bought wont come off easily. Is there anything i can use to get it off that wont ruin my rattle can paint job?

So I taped up my car and did a rattle can flat black. Of course the tape i bought wont come off easily. Is there anything i can use to get it off that wont ruin my rattle can paint job?

Hello, Try Goo Gone. The product does work. Do a small test area first though. MMG

Attachments

• GG12.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 229
I guess you learned about masking tape! Only use painters tape, it's designed to come off and will give a cleaner edge.

I guess you learned about masking tape! Only use painters tape, it's designed to come off and will give a cleaner edge.

for sure! lol

if your paint has dried get the tape wet and to getting it off... but if you let it dry it will really stick on there... enough to pull paint right off the car to bare metal...

your local PPG store OR auto paint supply should have... 3m general purpose adhesive cleaner part number 051135-08984..... should not affect your paint and if you let it soak in for a few your tape will come right off....you may have to go over the area to remove the rest of the adhesive..... a lil pricey but works awesome

This what we use at the shop(auto glass) to remove all types of tape glue from vehicles without damage to the paint. People bring their cars in with broke out window glass and use all different type of tapes to secure the vehicles until they can bring the car in.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=MMM08984_0006436602

Now 98% of the vehicles have clear coat so I'm not absolutely sure that it will remove the residue without messing up your paint.

VMP Naptha, or lighter fluid. The naptha is more pure, won't take paint off.

goo gone i have considered. I remember using it when i worked at Michaels to clean tape off the registers. It worked better than nothing but still not great.

Rubbing alcohol will probably mess the paint up. We rattle canned my buddies truck and when he went to put his rain guards on they came with rubbing alcohol swabs to clean the surface of the paint for good adhesion. It messed up the paint where he used it.

Also ive only taped to chrome or glass. Glass i just get off with a razorblade. chrome trim ive used a razor blade a bit on but theres just so many little areas to try and get into.

If its only on glass and chrome use any of the suggestions above, just be real careful to deep off the paint or use some painters tape to protect the painted surfaces around those areas.

Is it just the glue stuck on the car or tape itself ? If the tape wont come off try heating it up with a heat gun or hair drier.

The tape wont come off, I think I'm going to try the heat gun on it tomorrow. Great suggestion! Not sure why I didn't think of that.

+1 on the hair Drier, If you use a "Heat Gun" Be Careful to much heat = end of a good day!

-
Back