Master Cylinder Pushrod Needed asap...Question - Photo Attached

-

MobileCustoms

Reaction score
I am swapping my '67 manual master cylinder for a '73-up power MC but keeping manual brakes.
Here's a photo of my old MC and the pushrod that was in it, along with the newer MC I will be installing.
It's abvious that the push rod assembly attaches differently. Is there a way to use the old pushrod or do I need a newer one from '73-up donar car with manual brakes?

Any help would be great! I would gladly pay for prioty shipping to get the correct pushrod here asap, new or used.

I am also installing an adjustable prop valve in the real line.

Ultimate plan is front discs with the original rear drums and manual brakes, using the '73-up MC for a power brakes car (smaller 15/16"bore).

Thanks!

Doug

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 182
you still haven't taken the pushrod out yet.It is held in the piston with a 1/4" rubber sleeve.
put that piston in a vise and pull very hard on the rod...should fit your new master o.k. but you will need a new rubber.

Ditto, above.. The cylinder came out of the MC. Grab the silver cylinder and twist and pull. The push rod should slide out, but may take some force. Yes you should be able to reuse your original pushrod.

Got it! Thanks for the replies... Got the new MC all hooked up (Bench bled it first) and the brakes are already at least twice as good as before!
Now I am working on installing the adjustable prop valve in the rear line. Then bleed the lines and test drive. Set the prop valve at the halfway point for starters.

...that little rubber retainer is fairly important...i'm sure you saved or replaced it.

...that little rubber retainer is fairly important...i'm sure you saved or replaced it.

When I replaced the MC on my car my rod did not have one on it. I couldnt find one so I just stuck the rod back in.. I have not noticed any issues not having it and its been that way for 2 years.

When I replaced the MC on my car my rod did not have one on it. I couldnt find one so I just stuck the rod back in.. I have not noticed any issues not having it and its been that way for 2 years.

the issue is the rubber retainer keeps the rod inside the MC.....there have been many case where the rod has fell out of the master cylinder...and look mom no brakes..

if it is not machine or you dont have the little rubber.....just fill the void with rtv

the issue is the rubber retainer keeps the rod inside the MC.....there have been many case where the rod has fell out of the master cylinder...and look mom no brakes..

if it is not machine or you dont have the little rubber.....just fill the void with rtv

Well good to know! Its not hard to get the rod out so I think I will put RTV in and call it good.

It's pretty easy to drill and tap the MC to accept that boot. That will also keep the pushrod in place.

ditto on that!
mee tooo

but now im not feeling so good about the whole thing..... think i will go in and do whats reccomended...

did you notice an improvement with that new MC?

-
Back