Master cylinder questions

-

ajarofclay

Reaction score
Hello all, just a couple questions of which some are just for curiosity sake. I've got a new master cylinder on its way right now for my disc brake conversion. While taking the old one off I was actually surprised it came off so easy expecting to maybe have to wrestle it off of the rod on the brake pedal. Hopefully that's a good thing but I did find that the rubber grommet at the end of the rod and the boot that surrounds it we're trashed. I was wondering if those are easy to find items. Also, although really not important at this point, there was some odd damage on the internals of my Factory master cylinder. There was some erosion? in different spots that I was just curious if someone could tell me what would cause that. Also when I took it apart, (again for curiosity sake) I found a little clip that should lock the spring in was off and couldn't be reassembled. I was just wondering if this is common especially since this car though almost 50 years old has roughly 60,000 original miles on it. I'm attaching some pictures...

20231130_143325.jpg

20231130_153540.jpg

20231130_153726.jpg

20231130_153739.jpg

20231130_153910.jpg

20231130_153924.jpg

Water got in in its life time and attacked the internal parts.

As for the pushrod hole probably the same issue but from another source

The bellows needs a small bracket to attach it to the back of the MC. With all that corrosion, you need to replace that MC.

I already have New master on the way. (Front discs rear drums) which is why some of this is just curiosity. More importantly is that I am able to easily find the boot and The Grommet

Perfectly normal corrosion over time. DOT3 brake fluid absorbs moisture, so over time the moisture will cause corrosion like that. Sounds like you got a handle on things. Good job!

The bellows needs a small bracket to attach it to the back of the MC. With all that corrosion, you need to replace that MC.
I'm not sure what the Bracket is that you mention, Murray. This one just had a ridge on the wide end that slipped into a machined groove. It was REALLY soft though, almost like paper. I'm guessing there was some seepage of fluid that got into it?

This one just had a ridge on the wide end that slipped into a machined groove. It was REALLY soft though, almost like paper. I'm guessing there was some seepage of fluid that got into it?
Photos of this would be helpful

-
Back