Master cylinder replace

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any one have any tips or tricks as to replacing a master cylinder on a 69 B-Cuda,with power drum brakes??. This is one job I have never done in all my years w/Mopars. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks Dave C.

Hi Dave,

I would do a real good job of bench bleeding the new m/c before installing it. This way, you can simply remove the old one, and install the new m/c with no bleeding needed at the wheel brakes. And you're done.

If you choose to not bench bleed it, you'll have to bleed each wheel brake starting with the right rear, then the left rear, right front and finally the left front to get all of the air out.

hope this helps some!

Are you replacing the old unit with the same onstyle of part or wish to upgrade to a light weight unit with 1 1/16 bore as used in most bigblock swaps?Mrmopartech

could someone explain how to benchbleed in elementry steps. i got a small leak in my mstr cyl and have heard its not hard to do(replace) thanks

I am replacing it with an original type MC. i had planned on bench bleeding it, but I have never done that. Any tricks??. I had also heard that some MCs come with bleeder tubes, is that so ??. The one thats in the car now is leaking between the MC and the Booster at the gasket, so the rear seal is probably bad. It works fine, brakes work real good.
Thanks Dave C.

Most new master cylinders come with instructions.

Thanks Guys
Got the new M/C it came with instructions, and two bleeder tubes and fittings.
Going to put it in this weekend. hopefully I wont have to bleed the brakes, after installing it. But I always have my trusty vacuum pump handy, they work good. Dave C.

GO DART said:
could someone explain how to benchbleed in elementry steps. i got a small leak in my mstr cyl and have heard its not hard to do(replace) thanks

As the name suggests you mount the mc in a vice on the bench. Run hoses from the fittings back into the reservoir. Fill the reservoir with fluid so it's at least over the hoses. Use an appropriate tool (screw driver) to pump the piston until air stops bubbling from the hoses.

Most mc's come with a couple of plastic fittings, some clear hose and a nice little clip to hold them in place for doing this.

As Duster346 stated you quite often do not even need to bleed the lines.

-
Back