Master Cylinder Woes!

-

MB43

Reaction score
How do you get the master cylinder off the pushrod?

I unbolted it from the firewall, but the brake pushrod doesn't want to let go of the master cyliner. Any tricks to doing this?

When I took mine off, I disconnected it at the pedal arm. It was just a bolt and nut. If you want to take the arm out of the master cylinder, I've never tried that.

Jack

Coyote Jack said:
When I took mine off, I disconnected it at the pedal arm. It was just a bolt and nut. If you want to take the arm out of the master cylinder, I've never tried that.

Jack

I took a quick look at doing it that way, it looked like a pain to get in there to the nut & bolt.

thats the way you do it is at the pedal to get the rod out of the master you are suppose to disassemble the master but that depends on the year too

with the master still bolted to the firewall, pull back real hard on the brake pedal. Its kinda hard to explain but there is a recess in the back of your mc plunger that has a rubber bushing in it,there is also a recess in your push-rod. The 2 pieces just snap together.

i had to take mine out with the MC and put the MC in a vise and pull and twist and fight to get the rod out...BUT the good news is that i got it out without killing the rubber lock grommet that's in there, so i was able to reuse it....

:scratch: I've never had a problem just pulling mine off :shock:
Unbolt, pull, twist, and pull off.
Maybe I've been lucky :dontknow:

I can't believe this crap...

I tried yanking on the brake pedal, that didn't work.

I unbolted the whole thing, put it in the vise, it still won't come out.

I took the M/C apart, what I've got left is the plunger part and the brake lever stuck into it. And it STILL won't come out, no matter what I try.

Any other suggestions?

i just replaced my master with a rebuilt master for a duster w/ disc brakes and it came with the rod attached it was like only $16 at advance auto (part of my brake conversion)

Ok, I got it off, finally. I put the thing in a vise and beat the crap out of it with a BFH.

Ahhhhh, the BFH. That thing will give you nothin' but trouble...I once used a BFH to persuade a stubburn bolt and wound up with a BFT. The t stands for thumb. :cry:

sickt7cuda said:
Ahhhhh, the BFH. That thing will give you nothin' but trouble...I once used a BFH to persuade a stubburn bolt and wound up with a BFT. The t stands for thumb. :cry:

LOL!

I was hoping to save the little rubber retainer, but after an hour or so of trying to pursuade the pushrod off, I got pissed and went to get Sister Sledge. It popped right off, I think I scared it. ;-)

Pulling up on the brake pedal usually works for me. The little rubber retainers are still available from the dealer and are really cheap. If you need one I got a few extras :wink:

see there....got ya mad enough to get it.....

all you had to do was try...
LMAO :jocolor:

onehellofadart said:
:scratch: I've never had a problem just pulling mine off :shock:
Unbolt, pull, twist, and pull off.
Maybe I've been lucky :dontknow:

I used to do it that way until I pulled hard enough for the little tab that keeps the pistonin the bore and out it came and brake fluid all overmy nice paint. I disconnec the rod from the pedal and take it out on the bench now! :)

If the rubber o-ring is dry it will stick, spray a little lube like WD-40 in there and it will come apart easier.

For future reference, the little rubber retainer is exactly the same size as 7/32" vacuum hose. Just snip off a piece about 1/4" long and slide it on if you waste the retainer (like I did).

Now I've got about a thousand replacements. I had to buy a 4' length of hose - that was all Pep Boys had in that size..

Amazing!

I did a google search looking for a forum to answer this same question. I also had believed that it would be too much hassle to pull the pushrod from the pedal. So I took a little advise from you guys. I outsmarted the thing though. I sprayed a little cooking oil into the rubber ring and put a long bolt through the pushrod eyelet. I then sat on the floor, put both feet over the flange and pulled the bolt. I bounced a little, but I got the pushrod out without beating on it!

Thanks for being here and answering stupid questions.

-
Back