Master cylinder

-

ir3333

Reaction score
..when was the last year that the rubber boot and retainer was used on the master cylinder push rod?

I thought all manual MC's have a boot. Look at photos on rockauto. All cars went to front disk brakes in 1973 and I think most disk cars would have a power booster, but not positive.

i just purchased a new one from Rock Auto (15/16" for manual discs)and there were no mounting holes,so i drilled and tapped them.

I'm not sure if it was a production change, or a supplier substitution in the replacement parts chain. But the units you get now are frequently not drilled, regardless of what year they are listed for. I drilled and tapped my last one, too. I have never seen any documentation on this feature, but it probably wouldn't be accurate, anyway. The parts listings for A-body master cylinders are already a mess. Because all the different MCs used from 67 through 76 are direct bolt-in replacements, it seems like the supply houses haven't bothered to keep track of the details -- it fits, so who cares about bore diameter or piston retainers?

-
Back