Master Cylinder

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm ready to reinstall my master cylinder.. I have what I think is the firewall "gasket", but looking at my m.c. it looks like there's a gasket on it too. Is there a separate gasket that goes directly against the m.c..? It has been a long time since I removed and I'm a bit lost. My service manual is of no help. Here's a pic of what I'm dealing with.. Looks like gasket, some sort of spacer, then gasket..
And, does this look like an OEM master cylinder cap..?

20230829_173510.jpg

Thanks..!
20230829_172429.jpg

20230829_172454.jpg

20230829_172454.jpg

I've only seen the single foam one myself (I think), maybe the the "spacer" looking one is aftermarket. I definitely never remember there being a sandwich of gaskets...not that I can see any harm in it really. Not sure on the cap.

This has been apart before- only one gasket is needed. Does your new M/C have the pushrod already installed? Do you know how to switch them?

There are white foam gaskets are stock

The bellows retainer is also stock

I agree it has been a part before, and the FSM is very light on details.

The bellows retainer might not be a good seal so I would opt to add a white foam between the firewall and the yellow bellows retainer.

This has been apart before- only one gasket is needed. Does your new M/C have the pushrod already installed? Do you know how to switch them?
How can you tell its been apart before..?
I was hoping to just reuse this m.c.
I've heard it's a pain to install the pushrod.

The white plastic retainer fits against the master cylinder and the foam gasket against the firewall. The retainer which the rubber bellows fits over was used on manual brakes from 1971 thru 1976.
Retainer part number is : 3461205
Foam gasket part number is: 3461212.
When a replacement master cylinder was used, sometimes one or both of these gaskets got left off.

the 70 i took apart had that hard plastic part between the mc and the firewall
From what I know the plastic part is needed for masters that have a recessed snap ring to retain the piston.
All other have the screw holes for the external metal retainer/ bellows keeper

I don't think the bellows or plastic retainer is used on power brake cars between the mc and brake booster but a foam gasket is.

There is a different plastic part for power bracketry to firewall

-
Back