Match this 500hp/500lb-ft Combo?

-
Blueprint his this stroker SBC for sale that has a really nice torque and power curve and decent idle vacuum to boot. The 408 mopar they have falls short- appearing to be from crappy heads and lower compression. What would you guys suggest for a combo that could match this?
Would a set of TFS on a 400" engine with 10.5:1 do the trick or are w2 type heads needed?

View attachment 1715921515
BluePrint Engines 396CI Stroker Crate Engine | Small Block GM Style | Dressed Longblock with Carburetor | Aluminum Heads | Roller Cam

4" crank?
Well ported factory iron will make that power no problem.

The BP 408 makes 494tq/465hp with Ede Magnum heads and a 235/242-110 HR cam.

Whenever you see the hp is lower than the TQ....... fundamentally it’s an air flow deficiency in the upper rpms.
Whether that’s from the cam, manifold, heads, exhaust, or a combination of those things.

My guess is the pinch area of those heads is a restriction, and that coupled with the mild-ish cam timing isn’t letting the tq curve fall off gradually enough to allow the math to work out favorably for a bigger hp number.

Porting the heads should do two things...... boost the specific tq output, and help with flattening the upper side of the curve.
That might be enough to get it to 500hp(will be dependent on the level of porting).
If it still falls short...... add some cam duration.

Of course, starting from scratch, subbing the unported Ede magnums for TF heads might be enough of a change to push the numbers over 500/500 with no other changes.

Last edited:
Last week there was a 434” Pontiac on the dyno here.
400 block with a 4” crank.
Cnc ported Kauffman D port heads(2.11” intake valve, 290cfm) RPM intake, Holley 750, 1-3/4” headers.......230/236-110 HR cam.
554tq/500hp

Lots of lines on the sheet in the 490’s.

The VE barely touched 100%, and at the point of peak HP(5800) it was down to 91%.

The power curve hung on better up top than I expected considering the short cam timing.
The heads are working pretty well.

Last edited:
Ported facotry iron 'I do typically' will end up in the 177-187cc int port range w/260-280cfm by .5-.55o lift with big .1-4oo numbers usually 240's cfm by .4oo and kick the door down into the 500's hp. Its work. Today's heads while a step foward..arent that impressive to me. Mopar still yet to get a head that touches 300@.500 ootb like some SBC afr's n others do.
Makes no sense they haven't slotted holes or fiddled locations to get it done...for the sake of osfa I guess.

There’s obviously no problem getting 500HP from reworked stock heads on a 4” stroke combo.
It’s just whether one wants to spend the $$$ to end up with a no quench iron headed combo.

There are at least 100 ways to get the job done, and all of them are fine as long as the owner is happy with the result.

I would take what I perceive to be the path of least resistance...... and that path has TF heads.

Absolutely, but maybe that's easy for $ome here. :D
I really like my quenched 'open chamber' 4"

20220504_090400.jpg

20220504_090352.jpg

20220504_090349.jpg

In these types of threads I try to approach it from the viewpoint of someone who doesn’t have the skills or equipment to do the job themselves ...... so they’re going to be “buying” heads.

I also don’t like to look at it through the lens of being able to score a “deal” on some used stuff.

I like to recommend something that anyone would be able to come up with....... or that 100 people could duplicate.

If the thread starts out with, “I’m going to port my own heads......”, that’s a different story.

If the goal were to be sure it would exceed 500/500...... it would be along the lines of:
-Icon 745’s @ zero deck
-Scat I beams
-4” crank
-Ede Victor, port matched & plenum clean up
-Race Brawler 750 carb
- 1-3/4” headers
-TF heads
-solid cam in the 248/254-108 range, or
-HR cam in the 240/246-109 range

Probably wouldn’t be power brake friendly though.

:DAnyone can buy that same stroker kit from Ohio crankshaft, can pay te extra to have it internally balanced..and cut quench pads if need. Himself or someone else... there are many..probably too many these days who can get the heads in shape. It's just making them look like a sewer pipe to get them to work, if a j head 'any number'. X's you would lay back a ton and just lift the valve a little more. It's not hard. All the **** on the front of the motor bolts right up too unlike the aluminum chunks that hang off an inch each end. For just a 500 hp 4" motor , trickflows?
That's more like hagarty insurance imo, but ya can do it how you like. Gotta love having choices even if they're 2400 dollar ones for 500hp

I'm the opposite ...I approach this as if the person is not loaded with doe and there is skill involved.:D

What Heads are you going to have someone buy that are ready to run for a significant cost savings from $2130?

It’s only a 500hp build because that’s the criteria where talking about.
It could be 50-75hp more than that for zero extra dollars.

...Called being a wise ***.
Like you said, many ways to do it.
Rhs heads made an easy 500hp with hyd flat in the 286's duration around .500 on 4" combos for years @.270cfm and 180cc

What Heads are you going to have someone buy that are ready to run for a significant cost savings from $2130?
My main and only point was that one probably doesn't need that much head for the horsepower goal but if they like to sleep good and not worry on the way to the dyno if the combo is right then they're probably the way to go. And that's not saying anything about the Builder it's just speaking in general.

Even those Speedmaster Magnum heads that I did in that one thread for my truck would allow 500 horsepower with a 4-inch arm under it peezy. But I know you guys like to talk about room to grow and that will be room to grow, the trickflow.
Hp is addictive I know.

It’s only a 500hp build because that’s the criteria where talking about.
It could be 50-75hp more than that for zero extra dollars.
Is that 2130 to your door or before taxes shipping and pushrods and geometry kit.
May as well throw those in there too cuz they could be factors :eek:

Would that not apply to any heads?
As it would an accurate total.
So $2,400 potentially.

How much do you charge to make iron into 2.02 11/32 and 250-260 cfm and mill .010-.020 for 65cc. Probably quite a bit less than $2,400.

How much do you charge to make iron into 2.02 11/32 and 250-260 cfm and mill .010-.020 for 65cc. Probably quite a bit less than $2,400.

Uuuhh..... no.

One of the better “deals” for ported iron heads would be from Dave at KG engines.
He’s got a cnc program that supposedly gets them into the 280 range.

Uuuhh..... no.
So what about the thread where you do , show n say... it's "with very little work at all" to get 250's out of some iron.
So what's a lot of work cost someone nowadays?
I used to charge a grand plus parts n cores.

Got a link to that thread?
I’d like to see it in context.
Sounds more like something I’d say about later BB heads(which are indeed pretty easy to get into that 250+ range).

For $1000 plus cores for 250-260cfm SB heads ready to bolt on.......they should be lining up at your door.

T/A heads

Last edited:
hearsay is 80 20 that the better deal is a eq/rhs and chicon SM...plus utg will show ya ;) so everyone can do their own.
More like how many even ask you about factory sb heads anymore ..
So you get 1800-2k to do a set I'll assume

When someone calls inquiring about having me refurbish and port some OE heads....... I start the conversation by telling them they’ll end up costing more than new aftermarket aluminum heads.

Sometimes that’s the end of the conversation...... sometimes it’s not.

Even those Speedmaster Magnum heads that I did in that one thread for my truck would allow 500 horsepower with a 4-inch arm under it peezy.

Okay...... let’s explore that option.
Buy a pair of castings without waiting for the Black Friday sale.......(currently $798/Pr at Jegs).
Do them up just like what’s on your truck engine....... finished, all new parts, ready to bolt on for a HR cam that’s suitable for 500hp.
What’s the bottom line?

Then.......how much more if you’re 1/2 way thru the job and the buyer calls and says...... he’s thinking he really wants more like at least 525hp?

Last edited:
In these types of threads I try to approach it from the viewpoint of someone who doesn’t have the skills or equipment to do the job themselves ...... so they’re going to be “buying” heads.

I also don’t like to look at it through the lens of being able to score a “deal” on some used stuff.

I like to recommend something that anyone would be able to come up with....... or that 100 people could duplicate.

If the thread starts out with, “I’m going to port my own heads......”, that’s a different story.
Agreed, most times I figure people don’t have an extra 2-3K to really spend on ether big heads or porting.
...Called being a wise ***.
Like you said, many ways to do it.
Rhs heads made an easy 500hp with hyd flat in the 286's duration around .500 on 4" combos for years @.270cfm and 180cc
Not in line with how the Oe poster asked the question but I do agree. That would also make for a nice track engine in a light car. I figure that “286” is an advertised number.
Uuuhh..... no.

One of the better “deals” for ported iron heads would be from Dave at KG engines.
He’s got a cnc program that supposedly gets them into the 280 range.
Yea? No ****. Someone actually CNC’a iron heads.
Huh, learned something new today.
Does he have a web site?

-
Back