Matching Engine to Production Date - Pre-'68

-

zebra3

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am aware that before 1968 these cars did not have a partial VIN stamped on the block to determine with certainty that the motor and car matched. However, let us say that a person was looking at a pre-68 Barracuda that had a production date on the tag as April, and the date embossed on the engine was 8*14*67, which is of course after April. What are the odds that this engine originally shipped in the car?

Since you’re asking the question I suspect you‘re looking for confirmation the engine wasn’t originally in the car when the car rolled off the production line.

The seller is likely trying to convince you otherwise? Probably asking for a little extra $ by claiming the engine is orignal to the car?

Ask the seller how a body would sit around the factory for 5 months before the engine was installed? They were pumping those cars out like crazy….

Hello All,
I am aware that before 1968 these cars did not have a partial VIN stamped on the block to determine with certainty that the motor and car matched. However, let us say that a person was looking at a pre-68 Barracuda that had a production date on the tag as April, and the date embossed on the engine was 8*14*67, which is of course after April. What are the odds that this engine originally shipped in the car?
Zero.
Closest you would come to that being original is if the engine got blown up early in it's life and was replaced with a warranty engine.
You can't have a car assembled in April with an engine that wasn't even cast (or assembled-depends on the number you're referring to) until August...

Clarification:
Depending on the model and/or dealer, it could be an "as delivered" vehicle, but not "as built".
It's a stretch for sure, but someone buying an early GSS from Mr. Norm, for instance, could very well have engine date codes that do not sync with the body's build date; since they were hand "rebuilt" at the dealership with different engines... I'm sure some Plymouth dealers could have done the same thing.
Uncommon situation, but I suppose you could say it's possible, given the info you gave us. But unless it is a special non-standard build, it ain't original.

It would be helpful if the OP indicated what size engine is claimed to be orignal to the car? Slant 6? 273? 318? 340?

-
Back