Matching Numbers Question

-

KP

Reaction score
Only Asking Because I Do Not Know.

When people talk about having a numbers matching car how do you tell if the engine is the one that actually came in the car and what else should be looked at?

KP

Only Asking Because I Do Not Know.

When people talk about having a numbers matching car how do you tell if the engine is the one that actually came in the car and what else should be looked at?

KP

The VIN is stamped on the engine block and the transmission.

I believe the vin is located close to the motor mount on a flat machined surface, just abv the oil pan....thats where it is on sb's. As far as I know the numbers matching didnt start until the 68 model year. 67 and older you would have to check the date codes on the block against the build date of the car. Someone else with more knowledge will hopefully shed some light on this.

I am no expert on this, but I think it varies from year to year. I don't see the year of the car you are talking about.

For example, on my 68 RR, the numbers were right on the bell housing of the trans, and back of the block, behind the drivers side head. They lined up almost perfectly with each other.

But later, they went to the pan rail, and even to a build number I think, but not sure.

Some of the early motors, had the numbers on the front of the block, right below the drivers side head.

-
Back