Max lift 308 heads?

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
What's the maximum lift a stock 308 head can take before running into retainer clearance or coil bind?

I want to put some stock heads on my 360 as a temporary measure to break the cam in and give me some time to port/rebuild a good set of heads.

LOL, you sure you want to know????

Most are around .450....... I have seen stock heads that would beat the crap out of the unbrella seal at 420........

Coil bind ain't much better.

Pretty easy and cheap to fix it though.

LOL, you sure you want to know????

Most are around .450....... I have seen stock heads that would beat the crap out of the unbrella seal at 420........

Coil bind ain't much better.

Pretty easy and cheap to fix it though.
Not meaning to hijack, but

Oh crap, I bought a 450 Comp Cam hydraulic roller for my 302 heads on the 318.
So you are saying they gotta come off eh?

If the exhaust has those heavy thick rotors, yes, U better check it out. Springs can be changed with the heads still on

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

Always check over 440 is my motto.... My 302 heads on my stroker weren't good for 420 with the rotators, and I now have over 500 lift with the rotators, hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa........

You also have to grind the spring seat in the heads way down, or run a longer vlave to get past abou 450. (usually)

exactly.
The springs should have a "installed Height" specification.....as said ^ above.....there may need to be material cut from the seat to accomadate said "Installed Height".

Once you get past this clearance obstacle with retainer to seal/guide...and can safely actuate the valves more than .500", the next one becomes the Piston to Valve Clearance.

Cheerio

-
Back