Maximum head milling?

-

polkat

Reaction score
What is the maximum amount of slant 6 head milling anyone here has done successfully? Seems .100" is common, but I've heard of .140" and beyond. What have you done?

im @ .110 off the head and .030 off the block...

i wouldn't really go any further (.110) when you can mill the block the same amount...

im @ .110 off the head and .030 off the block...

i wouldn't really go any further (.110) when you can mill the block the same amount...

X2 moparKid :happy10: I am just learning this myself and seen your build =P~
You will be spanking some V8 with your /6 monster :cheers:

What is the maximum amount of slant 6 head milling anyone here has done successfully? Seems .100" is common, but I've heard of .140" and beyond. What have you done?
I have seen as much as .150 come off of a factory head. I personally think take what you can off the Block as this keeps the head CCs up for use with power adders or different requirements from the engine. The block is the most likely to have a unrepairable problem. Also a well ported , large valve head is NOT cheap.
Frank

X2 moparKid :happy10: I am just learning this myself and seen your build =P~
You will be spanking some V8 with your /6 monster :cheers:

He he he, it does look good don't it! He he he he......

I have seen as much as .150 come off of a factory head. I personally think take what you can off the Block as this keeps the head CCs up for use with power adders or different requirements from the engine. The block is the most likely to have a unrepairable problem. Also a well ported , large valve head is NOT cheap.
Frank

also frank with the amount available on the block i felt better keeping it at .110 so the deck surface didn't get to thin...

P.S. wouldn't decking the head a ridiculous amount eventually give you a close "kidney" shape combustion chamber, which is good...

P.S. wouldn't decking the head a ridiculous amount eventually give you a close "kidney" shape combustion chamber, which is good...

If the head could be milled that much.... IDK myself.
While the shape is good, actual amount of swirl is another story. Getting swir from the air and fuel is more than chamber shape.

I think you refur to this.

Also, the smalle cc amount to raise the comprsion is good, theres also no quench taking place. The smaller head cc amount (The heart shape now present) would be preety good (Or should be) with a zero deck piston or a domed one fitted to the cylinder heads chamber.

Oh course, this could put pump gas out of the equation. E-85? IDK, actual ratio would be of concern.

If the head could be milled that much.... IDK myself.
While the shape is good, actual amount of swirl is another story. Getting swir from the air and fuel is more than chamber shape.

I think you refur to this.

Also, the smalle cc amount to raise the comprsion is good, theres also no quench taking place. The smaller head cc amount (The heart shape now present) would be preety good (Or should be) with a zero deck piston or a domed one fitted to the cylinder heads chamber.

Oh course, this could put pump gas out of the equation. E-85? IDK, actual ratio would be of concern.

haha yea you would be running jet fuel! like 30 something cc chambers and 0 deck height! haha 20:1 on my desktop dyno?

I'm interested in building for quench. Of course, this is quite difficult with an open chamber head, but since the chamber sits about .200" into the head, if it could be milled that much, and the right shaped and CH piston found, it can be acheived. I've read that some have angle milled the head that much, favoring the post side, which partially closes the chamber. I'm thinking of going that way. It then becomes a matter of finding the right piston (possibly the KB 268 which has a dish).

-
Back