MAXIMUM Header Gasket Thickness?

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Just got my tti headers for my early a-body 340. Everything mounts up well so far. On the passenger side one of the tubes bumps against the lip of the valve cover. I would prefer not to massage the tubes for fear of damaging the ceramic coating or worse the headers themselves. :sad1:

I mocked the headers up to the engine with the gaskets provided by tti, but still not enough clearance IMO. I just need about a 1/8-1/4 inch and I'd be happy.

My question is what is the thickest gasket that could be used to add a smidge of extra clearance. A call to tti will follow of coarse but they are not open until Monday and you guys are always around. :lurk:

personally, I'd never use more than 1 gasket. I'd modify and/or change valve covers first. What you MIGHT try is to get a plain header flange and mount it: head, gasket, flange, gasket, then header. You'd need some longer header bolts.

don

I would try glueing 2 gaskets together with some copper silicone personally.

ive double gasketed headers before with no issues or ill effects. TTIs have really thick flanges and should be able to compress them just fine..

Summit Copper exhaust gaskets.

I am using one on my drivers side, under the stock
exhaust manifolds, beacuse I had a minor exhaust leak.
with the 318. :)

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-111420&N=700+115&autoview=sku

sum-111420.jpg

Cool, I saw a few on the summit site earlier today. Not many specs listed as far as thickness. I can see where stacking 2 gaskets together could be a problem especially if I had a leak. These headers take enough patience as it is. The copper sounds like a good option plus they are reusable.

Here's the tube I was talking about. This was on the car in a previous picture posting from the Fall Fling. Looks like he has a little bit more clearance than I do. I should have pictures tomorrow of mine.

you have to really torque down on coppers to get a good seal on 'em.

'ol trick for paper style gaskets is to submerge/soak the gaskets in water for a good while. (should help if you double up). this will cause them to swell up a little (aka conform better). Install them, and let 'em dry out for a day and they should seal up nice.

GoodysGotaCuda said:
you have to really torque down on coppers to get a good seal on 'em.

'ol trick for paper style gaskets is to submerge/soak the gaskets in water for a good while. (should help if you double up). this will cause them to swell up a little (aka conform better). Install them, and let 'em dry out for a day and they should seal up nice.

I did "Torque" the bolts/nuts for the drivers side exhaust,
but, Not as much, as when I was 25 years old;
back then, it was "just a Little tighter, ohoh, I broke it".

Copper will not rot/burn out, like "paper".

cavemanmoron said:
I did "Torque" the bolts/nuts for the drivers side exhaust,
but, Not as much, as when I was 25 years old;
back then, it was "just a Little tighter, ohoh, I broke it".

Copper will not rot/burn out, like "paper".

Your also running manifolds which will fiully seal easier than headers will. Headers will probably need to be tightened once or twice after some good running time.

daves66valiant said:
Just got my tti headers for my early a-body 340. Everything mounts up well so far. On the passenger side one of the tubes bumps against the lip of the valve cover. I would prefer not to massage the tubes for fear of damaging the ceramic coating or worse the headers themselves. :sad1:

I mocked the headers up to the engine with the gaskets provided by tti, but still not enough clearance IMO. I just need about a 1/8-1/4 inch and I'd be happy.

My question is what is the thickest gasket that could be used to add a smidge of extra clearance. A call to tti will follow of coarse but they are not open until Monday and you guys are always around. :lurk:
Why not use thicker valve cover gaskets to raise the valve cover. I used a set of 5/16 gaskets to help clear the intake manifold runners. I got the gaskets from Fel Pro.

Oh you could cut the lip away on the valve cover. Thats what I did for the intake. Now I can pull the intake off without removing the valve cover--Not that I would need to, but I did it anyways. Guess it could leak but there are great gaskets and sealers now of days.

I have thought about shaving a little off the valve cover. The tube barely touches with just one gasket. There is about an 1/8 in. separation with two gaskets on. Here are a couple of pictures. I think things will get tighter once I really torque things down and re-torque after a 100 miles or so.

Valve Cover with 2 gaskets
47b6cf38b3127cce8f053887756000000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

Top view
47b6cf38b3127cce8f05326bf4b900000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

Why not use thicker valve cover gaskets to raise the valve cover. I used a set of 5/16 gaskets to help clear the intake manifold runners. I got the gaskets from Fel Pro.

Unfortunately, that may actually exacerbate my problem as you can see in the pics.

I may even be able to buy new gaskets and try to push the vlave cover up just a bit to add some clearance without causing an oil leak :dontknow:

block of wood and a hammer. a very minor ding will solve your problem. Using something square like a little block of wood will make it look like it was supposed to be there.

Talked with TTI today and they suggested not putting two gaskets together. The best bet would be to shave the valve cover. Their Headers were designed with the stock valve covers and it didn't surprise them that my MP aluminum valve covers touched. Thanks for all the advice.
Dave

i always run two MANIFOLD gaskets on each side and they seal great but i have hooker super comps i am not too sure about the ttis

Just FYI - there is a company called Remflex that makes graphite gaskets that are 1/8" thick before you install them. They crush about 50% when you tighten them. They might be helpful. I've got a set for another car that has slightly warped flanges on the headers. I haven't tried the gaskets yet, but I have them. They look like quality pieces.

The website is http://www.remflex.com/

Lee

1966 Barracuda, 340 4 speed

My sealing problems were solved by using Percy's dead soft aluminum header gaskets. Jeg's number 760-66037. They won't burn out and are reusable. Don't overtighten either. I overkill by using a 3/8 torque wrench to tighter mine between 20 and 25 lbs. If both surfaces are flat you should have no problem.

You might want to try cometic header gaskets. I much prefer them to the TTi's gaskets are hanging on the wall.

-
Back