May need advice on 727 build

-

IRISH RT

Reaction score
Ok got it all stripped down and given the first clean found a cracked drum, also found uneven clutch wear and wear on one side of the planetry pics attached would it be uneven spring tension.?

Attachments

• 1404625435019.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 418
  • 1404625452940.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 410
  • 1404625482624.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 428
Also Noticed The Front Clutch Drum Has only 9 Springs , Where There are slots for 12, Some other drums I have Looked at had Ten springs This trans was from Behind a stock 360,

look for a 4 gear planet if you can. The springs is really how fast or slow they release. More springs faster less springs slower response rate. I believe im running 10 in mine. Talk with Fishy68 (Tracy) super nice guy and IMO a torqueflight guru. There are many others here good with them as well.

They came from the factory with different amounts of springs but the release speed is all that it changes really.
Some people think that the more springs the less power the cluches can hold engaged, but beleive me the hydraulic pressure is WAY more than the springs can resist.

If there is end play in the planetaries, then not only will you need to replace the planet set but also the ring and sun gear they engage or you will have a noisy gear.

The uneven wear is probably just warped steels, and those should be replaced along with the new clutches.

They came from the factory with different amounts of springs but the release speed is all that it changes really.
Some people think that the more springs the less power the cluches can hold engaged, but beleive me the hydraulic pressure is WAY more than the springs can resist.

If there is end play in the planetaries, then not only will you need to replace the planet set but also the ring and sun gear they engage or you will have a noisy gear.

The uneven wear is probably just warped steels, and those should be replaced along with the new clutches.

Yep got new Eagle clutches and steels and bands yes I was thinking four pinion planeteries, is there anything else other than mentioned plus bolt in sprag , I want to do this properly so time is not an issue want to learn as much as possible before re assembly

Yep got new Eagle clutches and steels and bands yes I was thinking four pinion planeteries, is there anything else other than mentioned plus bolt in sprag , I want to do this properly so time is not an issue want to learn as much as possible before re assembly

There could be a lot to be learned to go beyond the usual home rebuild.
Some examples are,

Pump gear clearances
Planetary gear end play (and the needle bearing rollers inside them)
Ringland wear
Ring bore wear
Bushing tolerances
Lip seal to bore insertion (without rolling or cutting seals)
Governor weight and spring changes. (for changing the shift points)
Pump seal retention (they make a retainer for it, but red locktight works pretty good.)
Servo upgrades (pretty important for the low/reverse band servo)

There are a ton of video's on 904 and 727's both but a lot of them don't address some of these issue's.
I'm sure we can help if you need it, just post up.

That appears to be an aluminum case planet. I like the steel better. It's arguable either way, but that's JMO.

That appears to be an aluminum case planet. I like the steel better. It's arguable either way, but that's JMO.
steel is better if it splines to the output shaft. not realy required for this type of build. if the planet was noisy before, by all means replace it. but the new used one( all you can get now) may be just as loud. a 50/50 shot in the dark at best.

Next Question , I have two Transmissions stripped down laid out on the bench seperately so I do not mix parts up , one is an Early pre 71 and the other after 71, I know its the 71 i need to use to upgrade, I know some parts are definetly not interchangable especially the oil pump and support, But what about the Clutch drums as I know the early one has a four clutch drum and the later has only three, are there any other later parts interchangable So I can select the best from each before I select new parts for the Build Thanx

you really shouldnt mix parts. they may look the same, but there not. that said, i have see builders put the wide bushing in the narrow drum, but you have to watch that its down far enough so the washer between the drums dosent touch it and that when you place the drum on the stator it dosent bottom out against the ringland before the drum hits the pump washer. clear as mud huh?

you really shouldnt mix parts. they may look the same, but there not. that said, i have see builders put the wide bushing in the narrow drum, but you have to watch that its down far enough so the washer between the drums dosent touch it and that when you place the drum on the stator it dosent bottom out against the ringland before the drum hits the pump washer. clear as mud huh?

Yes Drums Have Different oil Feeds early has holes and the Later one has a Slot, Are The interchangable ?????????????????????????????????:???::???::???:

i am NOT a trans expert. but one person i know that is told me. to put the clutches in oil over night, first. then mount them at the min clearance in the drum. does that sound right?

clutch disc need to soak in atf for 30 minutes .....

and check your clutch pac clearance with the clutches dry.....before you soak them in atf

Yes Drums Have Different oil Feeds early has holes and the Later one has a Slot, Are The interchangable ?????????????????????????????????:???::???::???:
try it. set the drum on the stator and air apply. with the clutch and snap ring installed. it should apply imediately.

Thanks Guys But I need an Answer on the Front Drums Plz , So can move ahead Thanks

what type of engine is the trans going behind and what type of VB are you going to use?

420 Hp Natural Asspirated , looking at building the trans up to 600hp.

Valvebody Sourced from SMR Transmissions Canada, Its an eliminator rev Manual Thanx

Ok Have Started Re- building the trans in Sections , Got the Rear Clutch , Done Checked cleaned everything, Fitted four Red Eagle Clutches with 50 thou Clearence, Deleted the wave retainer that holds the diaphram and u used two flat retainers to take up the slack , did not have a thicker one on hand thought the second would be extra insurance ,
Also Blocked The Breather in the Pump , Puledl off the Plastic Vent from the inside Amazing the amount crap was still inside it, Re located the Breather To the Main Housing , Was going to go With The Breather on the Tailshaft but to me that was too low ????.

-
Back