Maybe 1 of 1 ?

-

Small Block

Reaction score
Boy, Do i ever get some strange calls. Let me tell ya about this one. This evening while watching the news on the Illinois Governor i got a call and the guy told me he got my name from the guys at Orielly's. They know i'm the Mopar guru in southern Missouri. Seems he's from California and he's back here selling his place and heading back to California. He lost his wife and while telling me about it he got teary eyed and started crying on me over the phone. This guy has to be in his 70's. Nice guy i might say. He's a ford and chevy guy. Seems he had a friend that had grape vinyards and very wealthy and died on him in California. Well the guys daughter offered her dads car to the guy i talked to and he bought it. Don't know for how much. The guy i talked to is only here for about a week cleaning the place up then he's headed for home,California. He said he knows nothing about Mopars and wants me to help him sell this one car and wants rid of it. It's a 67 Dodge Polara 500. Nothing exciting,right? It has a factory tach, factory bucket seats, 383, 4 speed, manual steering. He said the California dealer said they didn't come that way. Maybe not. I don't know but i do feel this car is worth some money. Top book puts it in the price range of $15000 with no mention of tach, 4 speed, or buckets as add ons. I had a good conversation with the guy and he told me the PO bought a multiple carb, staggered manifold with carbs from the dealer for this car and never installed it as it wouldn't fit the 383. It's for a 440, 426, or 413. I told him if i didn't buy his car i would assist him in selling the car in exchange for the old intake(never installed) in the garage. He's good on that. After learning he was all ford/chevy i told him what i had in the garage. 63 Princess Grace of Monaco T Bird (#808 of 2000 made)that i might consider trading. He jumped on that with both feet. I'm going to meet him Friday for lunch and get aquainted but what do you guys think this Polara is worth considering all the options? His car as discribed seems to fall in the #3 range at $6750 in a good economy. My Bird in a #1 condition books for $35000. His Polara in a #1 condition with no rare options books for $15000. Give me your thought please. Thanks

It sure seems there's lots of excitement in your neck o' the woods Bill. Never a dull moment......LOL

I would start with asking him for the VIN info and go from there.

I would maybe get a hold of Galen Govier and see what he has to say about exactly how rare the car is. I know that their are a lot of people that have had "issues" in dealing with the guy but Ive never heard anyone say that he isnt the one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to something like this. Good luck and keep us posted as to how it all plays out.

Factory 4 speed C Bodys are few and far between.As for this Dealer saying none ever came that away well he doesn't know a thing.One of the rules in the MOPAR world is never say never.I have seen a few FACTORY odd ball 4 speed C Bodies over the last 25 years.If this Polara is a Factory 4 speed,bucket seat,tach car I wouldn't mind having it.I would check out the Fender tag and learn how to decode it if you don't know how already.If this is a real car I would guess it is one of 5 or less.You could always call Galin Govier.
Jim

Bill, You could also send a PM to member Alaskan TA who has the hamtramck historical sight. He is extrememly knowledgable on Mopars.

Good luck....The guy sounds like he's for real from what you have said.

I read somewhere that the 383 raised block, I think, could be optioned with the cross ram manifold like the one found on the 413 only with slightly different dimensions. I'll go looking for it.

Terry

Factory 4 speed C Bodys are few and far between.As for this Dealer saying none ever came that away well he doesn't know a thing.One of the rules in the MOPAR world is never say never.I have seen a few FACTORY odd ball 4 speed C Bodies over the last 25 years.If this Polara is a Factory 4 speed,bucket seat,tach car I wouldn't mind having it.I would check out the Fender tag and learn how to decode it if you don't know how already.If this is a real car I would guess it is one of 5 or less.You could always call Galin Govier.
Jim

Friend of mine up near Milan Dragway has an original 383 4 barrel 4 speed bench seat 68 Fury III convertible (we've decoded the fender tag and it's legit). He's had it at the Nats a couple of times. When people see the 4 speed, it evokes some interesting comments.

that is a definate on the 4 speed. buckets in polara 500 not so uncommon. it sounds like a nice find. if it is a hardtop 500 then there were only 2232 made in 67. it goes down from there with options. definatly need the vin. or possible tag info if you can get it. pics also

I wonder if there are any real honest people in middle California area that could be trusted to look it over and get back with me on it without having to worry about them horning in on a deal in progress?

i know crackedback & gtxperience is out there , there are a few others as well. you could get in touch with some of them.

It may be 1 of 1 but its still a butt ugly car. imho. but i guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Go on ebay and look at item # 160169120545. Can you imagine that with a 4 speed. Look at the lines on that unit. Looks better than a Camry or a Civic or a Prelude or a modern day Impala or how about a Cobalt. When i see a car like that i wonder what the lady looked like the designer had in mind when drawing it up. They made that car back when they didn't give a damn if they sold ten million of em or not and still made money. Like my 69 Lincoln Continental MK 3. Looooooonnnnnngggg

First, a RB 383 predated this car, AND the Max Wedge cars. So there is no way it could have been optioned with that intake setup.

Second, I think this is a pretty cool find and would love to have it myself. Four speed C bodies are rare, but not unheard of. And believe me, this one is NOT the most rare. ...

I agree 68, I saw on "My Classic Car" from NY a 4 dr 66 belvedere plain jane with a hemi and a 4 spd w/a bench so you can see some really rare ones out there that no one nows about. Very cool SB, I can't wait to know more about it.

Gee....I didn't mean for that to sound like it's no big deal. That isn't what I meant. Not at all.

If I feel like going in to the cold shop tomorrow to get my books, I'll look to see if there is any production figures on it. I'm sure there weren't many. I dig anything with a stick, and the stranger the better.

C-body cars with 4spds. are fairly rare but not unheard of. Seems like you see more early (60`s) C-bodies`s with 4speeds than the later cars. I say go for it if it`s what you like.

How do you do that?

Nice find. I hope it turns out the way you want it to. If anyone deserves to have a rare one of one fall into their lap, it is probably you.:cheers:

I remember ribbing you a little about your T-bird, but that is one beautiful ride! I can't see you getting rid of it unless this is one heck of a car.

Good luck! :-D

Hey 68: I don't think the manifold came on the car but was purchased for it but found later that it was for something bigger. We'll have to wait and see what options the car has to determine the rareity. The car is located within a 200 mile radius of Sacremento. My father lives there so if it pans out that will give me another excuse to go get it. My father is for all purposes blind and is of no value for investigation of something of this nature but i do have friends in that area from the Gold Wing Road Riders Association that will do so and don't care what a mopar is. They will take pics of inportant issues and email em to me for just asking. Been there with much success. I'm sure there are those here also that can be trusted as well. I'll know more as this unfolds. The car is some shade of blue.

? Mr NORMS ? Could have been a test car ? you know ma mopar!

no test car. 4 speed was an option for the polara 500 in 67. some of you guys are missing something here. you must remember that the polara was dodges attempt to capture some of what the 300 had for chrysler. this was in its introduction supposed to be a poor mans version (if so optioned) of the 300. console, buckets, 4 speed, and, tach were all polara 500 options along w/ pw, ac, pb, ect...as far as really rare c bodies go how about a 1966 town and country wagon with buckets w/ buddy seat ,ac, and 4 speed? it was 1 of 3 made according to galen. it was on ebay last year near the beginning of the year.

RARE does NOT always equal DESIRABLE .

1 of 1 is for people with little dicks that need to say my car is BETTER than yours .

If you break down most mopars built to every last option , or lack of one , most could be considered 1 of 1 ... big whoop .

:read2:

JohnRR: I'll match ya. Inch for inch. LMAO

Every auto i own is a one of one. No one has a scratch in the same place as i do on mine.

RARE does NOT always equal DESIRABLE .

1 of 1 is for people with little dicks that need to say my car is BETTER than yours .

If you break down most mopars built to every last option , or lack of one , most could be considered 1 of 1 ... big whoop .

:read2:

WOW....great use of words and great attitude. I don't think you have been here long enough to know much about small block and what he has brought to this site, nor have you been here long enough to take a cheap shot at someone...as if that is ok anyway. He said "maybe" 1 of 1...

Try more positive thinking and base your response from that.

-
Back