Maybe 1 of 1 ?

-
WOW....great use of words and great attitude. I don't think you have been here long enough to know much about small block and what he has brought to this site, nor have you been here long enough to take a cheap shot at someone...as if that is ok anyway. He said "maybe" 1 of 1...

Try more positive thinking and base your response from that.

It wasn't a shot at anyone in specific and more at the crowd running around puking the 1 of 1 mantra ...

But I still stand by RARE DOES NOT EQUAL DESIRABLE edit ... I let out VALUABLE also :toothy10:

As far as the positive attitude , I can't figure out how to get my head up my *** far enough , wearing rose colored glasses , to see the half full glass.

Is there a certain membership time standard before one is allowed to say what they are thinking instead of candy coating replies to threads ?

I must have missed that in the user agreement ???

JohnRR: I'll match ya. Inch for inch. LMAO

Every auto i own is a one of one. No one has a scratch in the same place as i do on mine.

SEE , someone has a SENSE OF HUMOR ...

My cars are also 1 of 1 , they are the only ones I own .

When I was in high school in the early 1970s, a local guy had a Plain Jane, mid green, 1970, Hemi, Barracuda with an automatic shift on the column. It had a plain hood. I have never seen one set up like that since then. He had his legs and arms somewhat screwed up in Vietnam and could not use a clutch pedal or tunnel-mounted shifter effectively.

I heard conflicting stories a number of years later that he had died or moved from the area and that the car was sold.

When I was in high school in the early 1970s, a local guy had a Plain Jane, mid green, 1970, Hemi, Barracuda with an automatic shift on the column. It had a plain hood. I have never seen one set up like that since then. He had his legs and arms somewhat screwed up in Vietnam and could not use a clutch pedal or tunnel-mounted shifter effectively.

I heard conflicting stories a number of years later that he had died or moved from the area and that the car was sold.

The plain hood is interesting since there was no other air cleaner available for the car in 1970 other than an oval NON fresh air hood air cleaner , but I don't think that would fit under a flat hood , a rallye hood yes .

But there was a guy in Maine with an F5 or F3 green bench seat , column auto 70 hemi cuda , I saw that car sometime in the 90's at the Bonney Eagle show .

We need some pictures of the big Dodge :-D

I do agree with John that rare doesn't necessarily equate with desirable but in this case I happen to like those big Polaras, in fact the first ride I ever had in a fast car was in a 67 Polara 383 car that my freind's Dad had back then. I was 10 so it sure seemed fast compared to the little 4 pot **** box my folks drove and his Dad put his foot into it, I've felt the need for speed ever since :toothy10:

Redfastback: Thanks for the vote of confidence but no harm done. John has his method of expressing himself and i'm not saying it's right or wrong.
JohnRR: What kind of cars are you into? We know not 1 of 1's so what's it take to yank your crank? Don't tell us you have a garage full of mass produced Camrys.

Rob: I'll meet the guy friday and he said he has two pics with him so i'll get em and scan and post. Look at one of my previous posts and there is an ebay # with a polara pic. That one is white. The one that the guy has is blue. For the benefit of those that don't like big old mopars, that's cool with me. We all weren't made with the same mold so we are probably going to run into someone with a different perspective than ourselves. Not a problem and no feelings are hurt here. Pretty thick skinned and lots of inches. Must be in the right forum. "General Discussion"

Hey Small Block, I understood what you said. Fault is mine. I didn't make it clear I was making reference to demon seed's remarks about the RB 383. Sounds like there is a Maxi intake in the trunk of this thing. (either that, or a magnesium Hemi cross ram intake)

Just for fun, there was a "max wedge intake for a low block......sort of. It was a single 4 NASCAR intake for maxi heads on a low block (383). I ran across one years ago and thought about buying it, but decided it probably wouldn't run well on the street (low rpm)

I could be wrong though

There was a 383 "B" that came out with the cross ram eg. long ram but it was in 1960, I was going to guess 64. Regardless Small Block if you get your hands on it it's worth quite a few bucks and guessing again with carbs and for a 413 that someones restoring $2000.

Terry

Found this article in Allpar.

TerryJoe Godec: the 1960-61 Plymouth "Sonoramic Commando"
The "long" ram-inducted engine in the Plymouth line was originally meant for only the 361 CID wedge engine. It was not until later in the model year that the 383 came out and then I think only in response to the Dodge Division dropping it in their Dart (at that time, virtually the same size as the full-size Plymouth).

My dad bought a '60 Fury 2-dr h/t in May, 1960 and it had the 383 long ram. Interestingly, this particular car was supposedly a "special order" that fell through, so Dad was able to get a "real deal" on it. I was just graduating from high school at the time, so you can imagine how excited I was about the car. I have long maintained that its rated 330 horsepower was conservative, since the DeSoto in '59 had basically the same engine option (two four barrel carbs, but on a "log" or in-line manifold rather than the ram-inducted one) and it was rated at 345 horses.

If I remember correctly, that 330 horse engine put it in the NHRA's "A" Stock class and I don't believe that "SuperStock" was yet sanctioned by NHRA. At any rate, that 330/383 combination was quite wild for the time and I can remember surprising even a few '62 409/409s (2X4 barrel carbs, by the way) at "stop-light Gran Prix" while I was in college. Also, again if memory serves me right, Plymouth and Dodge tried to limit those engines to the TorqueFlite trans as much as possible.

Even though I traded that big-tailed beast for a '65 426S Sport Fury, I always had a special affection for it (who can forget their first love?). So for a number of years now I have been trying to find one to relive the days of my misspent youth and luckily just this May snapped one up - a "Sonoramic Commando" no less! However, this one is a very early 361 that left the St. Louis plant on October 25, 1959 and spent most of its life here in Colorado. It isn't quite the vicious "neck-snapper" that I remember that old 383 to be, but it's a great example of early Chrysler muscle. I've tried to find out how many of those ram-induction engines were produced, but even the records people at Chrysler can't tell me.

And

Deane Allinson wrote: Dodge had a 383cid (D500) 330hp cross ram induction manifold with dual 4 barrel Carter carbs in 1959 for the 1960 year models. They were both a factory option and dealer add-on for all models (usual for Dodge). The 330 hp rating is actually a low figure. The crossram setup was most usually seen on the Polara's standard 383, though the Phoenix 361 also had a cross ram setup. I have also seen a 1960 Polara wagon with a factory coded 383 D500

1380_1.jpg

JohnRR: What kind of cars are you into? We know not 1 of 1's so what's it take to yank your crank? Don't tell us you have a garage full of mass produced Camrys.

ggggrrrrrr , freaking computer ...

My sig isn't showing in all my posts ???

I have a 69 Dart GTS , original 383 , 4spd , if i were to break it down probably 1 of a handful

And a 69 Superbee , also a 383 , 4spd car broken down 1 of a few handfuls I imagine , but it's BLACK in and out and you don't see alot of black cars .

The common link to the cars , for me anyways , is they are both factory 3.91 geared and STRIPE DELETE , the only way the Dart could be better is if it were black too .

The Polara sounds like a cool ride , not really my cup of tea , but it is a 4 speed . But I think it would take a SPECIAL buyer to drop 15k on PRIMO example given the current market conditions .

I like original cars that are done CORRECTLY , but after doing show judging for 4 years at E town in the stock class I have a great dislike for it and trailer queen show poodles , something neither of my cars would ever be accused of and I like it that way .

Oh I have a hemi that might find it's way in the Bee .

Dart1.jpg

bee1.jpg

I guess I took the 1 of 1 commetn the wrong way.... no harm no foul. We have been getting a few pompous folks signing in here.
I do agree with you about show poodles and trailer queens....trailers are for boats. I get looked down upon by the purist E-body guys at some of the big shows, and all I can think of to do is give them the single finger salute....

No , you took it the right way , it was meant to get a rise out of the needle dick the bug humper crowd .

The plain hood is interesting since there was no other air cleaner available for the car in 1970 other than an oval NON fresh air hood air cleaner , but I don't think that would fit under a flat hood , a rallye hood yes .

But there was a guy in Maine with an F5 or F3 green bench seat , column auto 70 hemi cuda , I saw that car sometime in the 90's at the Bonney Eagle show .

You know, it's funny; I remember seeing that car on the road on numerous occasions, but I only saw it once when he got on it. Our high school was on a highway with a traffic light in front of the school (you can imagine that there was a lot of rubber on the road in that spot). We were in chemistry class, when we heard a couple of cars taching out at the light. It was the green Hemi Barracuda and a big block Ford or Mercury (it belonged to a senior; it was something like a 1970 or so Cyclone or Torino or something-or-other). I was impressed by that Barracuda as the front end sort of lifted way up as the tires dug in. He was way in front of the Ford within 300 feet.

I saw the car only once with the hood up. The guy was showing some other guys his engine down at "The Bluff" (where all the muscle car guys hung out). We were driving by slowly. The big dual quad air cleaner was in plain sight. We were in my buddy's father's AMC Matador, so we felt like our weenies were only one inch long. With wood! So, we kinda just slinked away.

Go on ebay and look at item # 160169120545. Can you imagine that with a 4 speed. Look at the lines on that unit. Looks better than a Camry or a Civic or a Prelude or a modern day Impala or how about a Cobalt. When i see a car like that i wonder what the lady looked like the designer had in mind when drawing it up. They made that car back when they didn't give a damn if they sold ten million of em or not and still made money. Like my 69 Lincoln Continental MK 3. Looooooonnnnnngggg

I like mk3s but not polaras sorry. no i take that back i dig pre 66 polaras

OK JohnRR: You've hung in there on all of this post and came through with flying colors. Even with that few of post you're in. Anyone gives you any crap you tell em Small Block said you could play. I got the OK from Vic. Vic did say that it would be nice if you could do a little more posting and get those numbers up where we all could respect you more. LOAO

What's not to like about the Polara? I'd take that big old 2 door big block boat with a 4 speed any day :-D

Thats a 64 and it's a B body , the 67 is a C barge ... in case anyone cares

You're right JohnRR: Sorta like the Barracuda and Challenger. Once an A body then was an E body and now i don't have a clue what they call the new ones unless it's an LX.

-
Back