MC for 68 Barracuda w/Disc-Drum

-

rednesss

Reaction score
So I've been reading here that the correct master cylinder should have a larger reservoir for the front brakes that for the rear drums. I went to my local NAPA the other day and the MC that they had for my Cuda has the same sized reservoir for both front and rear. Is that normal??? Do they make MC with the assymetrical reservoirs any more??? Anybody that could shed some light on this will have my eternal thanks.

I have first hand experience with this problem. Yes the disk/drum- m/c should have asymmetric reservoirs. The rear reservoir which handles the front brake should be larger than the front reservoir. The front brakes do not self adjust and will quickly empty the cylinder as the pads wear. In addition you have 8 pistons compressing the rotor which takes more fluid than the 2 wheel cylinders. What I was told by one of the companies that rebuild these m/c`s, is that the # of cores that they get in (like the one originally on your car) are very few, therefore they ship something that has generally the same specs..You may get one just like your original but that would be rare. I went through about 5 before getting one close.Look in some of the other threads on this subject and you`ll probably find a part# that you can use. Good luck!

That's pretty much what I thought. If money wasn't an issue, is there a MC of choice for the 68??????

1. Contrary to popular opinion the early disc/drum dual masters have the same size reservoirs front/rear. I have a factory original from a 67 Dart somewhere in the pile of parts. The car was wrecked in 1974.

2. You can use a later disc/drum master (73-ish a-body will work fine).

3. You can use the late-model two-bolt aluminum master with an adapter.

I have disc/drum and my master reservoirs are the same. '68 B'Cuda and I have no problems, no lack of fluid in either reservoir. peace

rednesss said:
That's pretty much what I thought. If money wasn't an issue, is there a MC of choice for the 68??????

You might try using your casting # as a guide to see if your local parts store can match it up. Bendix is a good choice for a new M/C. Let us know what you find.

I went through this problem also on my 68. I found you can look parts up online at Napa's website and found they have a brand new M/C available that is asymetricle and the price is great. I ordered it and installed it and it works fantastic. Here is a link to it.
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=SS&PartNumber=4736412&Description=Brake+Master+Cylinder+-+New
If you have them to order this at your local store they may charge you a few more bucks (I think they charged me $7 more) for UPS shipping. Hope this helps.

I just noticed the link don't say but the price is $37.99

-
Back