Mcleod M-800

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass info about McLeod's M-800 tranny. They have what they are calling their complete driveline solution that consists of the flywheel, clutch, hydraulic throwout bearing, bellhousing, hydraulic master cylinder, and yes M-800 5 speed. It all was at the latest SEMA show. Don't know the cost but it's all mounted on a square tube chassis for a '70 Hemi 'Cuda. The Mopar kits are the first out! Supposed to be ready the first quarter of 2012 which should be about now! :burnout: Check out Stangtv.com. I don't know how to add the link here.

its a very long wait they were trying to get it out last month but surprise surprise they didn't. They don't release alot of press but word is they are waiting on the tail housing from the foundry.

i will just paitently wait till someone comes out with a good 5 speed.

ive been on their mailing list for 2 years havent ssen or heard nothing except whats said on here.

ive been on their mailing list for 2 years havent ssen or heard nothing except whats said on here.

same here,,,thats why im surfing this topic,,,seeing who stepped up to the plate,,,i may soon consider the high priced and hardly no tech info offered richmond side shifted 5 speed,,

same here,,,thats why im surfing this topic,,,seeing who stepped up to the plate,,,i may soon consider the high priced and hardly no tech info offered richmond side shifted 5 speed,,

I like the Richmond. A little noisey, but they shift great. It's been a few years since I've installed one, but the surgery can't be any worse than a TKO in an A body. IIRC, final drive is a 1 to 1 and you just run a highway friendly rear gear.

talked to Paul Lee Prez of Mcleod they are currently waiting for the foundry to finish the tail housings they are trying for 2 months from now. Thats the latest word i have gotten.

i thought the richmond had a .77 5ft gear ?? a 5 speed with no over drive doesnt make sense,,,just like a 5 speed with out a steeep 1st gear makes no sense,,,

well maybe the MC leod will come thru,,but i gave up on them 2 years ago when they had every excuse in the book why it had not gone to production at that time,,,

talked to Paul Lee Prez of Mcleod they are currently waiting for the foundry to finish the tail housings they are trying for 2 months from now. Thats the latest word i have gotten.

lol.. yea, we haven't heard that before...

I like the Passon design, myself. I want my car to shift like a musclecar, not a Mustang, and it's a drop-in. I don't think he's released them yet, either.

i thought the richmond had a .77 5ft gear ?? a 5 speed with no over drive doesnt make sense,,,just like a 5 speed with out a steeep 1st gear makes no sense,,,

well maybe the MC leod will come thru,,but i gave up on them 2 years ago when they had every excuse in the book why it had not gone to production at that time,,,

http://www.richmondgear.com/01fivespeed.html

My bad, they do have an OD trans now. What I like about the non OD version is that the first four gears are steeper which gives you excellent accelleration with a fwy rear (say 3.0). Fifth gear is straight through the mainshaft as opposed to through the countershaft. IMO that makes for a stronger trans.

Remember, essentially what you are looking for is high speed final ratio, wether it is in the trans or the rear diff, that still allows for aggressive accelleration.

i switched my rear gear from 4.56 to 3.91 i run a 33 inch tall tire,,,and can cruise at 23.50 rpm @ 60 mph,,,not bad but ide like to be under 2000 rpm,,,and have a steep 1st gear for around town,,, i currently run a formula s box 3.09 1st gear,,,, we will se what they come up with and if,,,

3.09? Holy crap, what is your split through the rest of the gears? The Richmond is a 3.28 first gear, but there is four more gears to get to the 1.1 final drive. I'm just thinking RPM drop between shifts, I don't know what you like or what works for you. I've done both the Tremec and the Richmond conversions (mainly on GM stuff). They both have their pros and cons. I'm just doing brain exercises, I am in no way trying to sway you or anyone else into buying anything.

3.09? Holy crap, what is your split through the rest of the gears? The Richmond is a 3.28 first gear, but there is four more gears to get to the 1.1 final drive. I'm just thinking RPM drop between shifts, I don't know what you like or what works for you. I've done both the Tremec and the Richmond conversions (mainly on GM stuff). They both have their pros and cons. I'm just doing brain exercises, I am in no way trying to sway you or anyone else into buying anything.

i have not decided on what 5 speed,,richmond is a little pricey compared to the TKO,,, ive heard nothing good or bad aboutthe richmond and dont know any one running one,,,all tho there 1st gear 3.06 is the cloest to when i have,,, sorry i dont have the other gear ratios for my 1965 mopar low gear tranny,,,,but it runs great,,,OR]

I have a feeling the Richmond trans is the former Doug Nash 5speed, which had a reputation for being clunky, but bullet-proof. I can't rember why he liked short gears in the trans and long gears in the diff, but it seemed sensible when he explained it.

I like the Passon design, myself. I want my car to shift like a musclecar, not a Mustang, and it's a drop-in. I don't think he's released them yet, either.
Haven't seen much progress from passon on the new 855. When I look at web site just says comming soon. I wonder when is soon? :burnout:

Haven't seen much progress from passon on the new 855. When I look at web site just says comming soon. I wonder when is soon? :burnout:

I had talked to Jamie at work about two months ago and expected release was supposed to be June or July

it seems none of them have produced a trans thats for sale yet,,,been what 3 or 4 years now ???? the only one available is the richmond,,,yes was the doug nash,,, and the tremec,,all require cutting,,,the passion wil not fit either in an A body,,,at least an early A,, i see the case at carlisle,,, its big too, and that tranny doesnt have a tall tire friendly 1st gear,,, i havent seen any thing on the new box from kieslier at all,,hopefully some oen will step up to the plate soon im still intrested in the MC leod,, but not holding my breath,,,,

it seems none of them have produced a trans thats for sale yet,,,been what 3 or 4 years now ???? the only one available is the richmond,,,yes was the doug nash,,, and the tremec,,all require cutting,,,the passion wil not fit either in an A body,,,at least an early A,, i see the case at carlisle,,, its big too, and that tranny doesnt have a tall tire friendly 1st gear,,, i havent seen any thing on the new box from kieslier at all,,hopefully some oen will step up to the plate soon im still intrested in the MC leod,, but not holding my breath,,,,

but it would fit a 68-76 as I was told..... Jamie should get it together... stop teasing us FCS. Hey, I had the Keisler set up behind my Hemi duster with No problem but I want a Passion 5 speed!

but it would fit a 68-76 as I was told..... Jamie should get it together... stop teasing us FCS. Hey, I had the Keisler set up behind my Hemi duster with No problem but I want a Passion 5 speed!

i want a trans with a low 1st gear,,, i have a 3.09 right now and i love it

This is all of the 833 ratios. I have thought of just going with an over/under drive on the 6 cyl ratio. Be about the same cost, maybe even a little cheaper. passons was guestamating 5k and mcleod about the same.

6-cyl (also 64-65 273, 74-75 318) 3.09 1.92 1.40 1.00
Fine-spline V8 (most pre-1971) 2.66 1.91 1.39 1.00
Coarse-spline V8 (1966-70) 2.65 1.93 1.39 1.00
Coarse-spline V8 (1971-74) 2.44 1.77 1.34 1.00
Road Race T/A; most 1971-74 fine spline 2.47 1.77 1.34 1.00
Overdrive (mid-1970s and newer) 3.09 1.67 1.00 0.73
Race Red Stripe 2.65 1.64 1.19 1.00

Passon is claiming that the wait on their tranny is for for the shifter from Hurst but that the expected release will be mid July. They claim that their 855 does fit the early A-body after they developed a different speedometer gear drive for them. Anxiously waiting for the Passon release.....

The ratios for the 855 are supposed to be:
1st 2.64 : 1
2nd 1.92 : 1
3rd 1.40 : 1
4th 1.00 : 1
5th 0.70 : 1

Passon is claiming that the wait on their tranny is for for the shifter from Hurst but that the expected release will be mid July. They claim that their 855 does fit the early A-body after they developed a different speedometer gear drive for them. Anxiously waiting for the Passon release.....

The ratios for the 855 are supposed to be:
1st 2.64 : 1
2nd 1.92 : 1
3rd 1.40 : 1
4th 1.00 : 1
5th 0.70 : 1

i just heard this weekend from a guy that knows him he is having issues getting a bearing made here in the U,S.. seems the manufracture moved to china,,,,ive seen that tranny no way is it going to fit an early A with out cutting,,,,but it sure looks prettty,,,

Can't get a bearing made in the USA? My grandfather made the world's best bearings in Torrington, CT USA. At the risk of starting a s-storm, where did we go wrong?

-
Back