Measuring, Cutting, and Fixing Terminals: Spark Plug Wires

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Does anyone have a reference how long each spark plug wire should be for a small block Mopar. What is the order, longest to shortest? Thank you.

Just an old 273 with the factory tabs on the valve covers.

Valve Cover Rust Reformer.JPG

i have no idea, but if you're building them anyway, why not just route them so they're ascetically pleasing and don't lay on the exhaust. that should be pretty close to stock

Your best bet, unless someone has written down what they did and sees your thread, is get some factory or magazine pics and just start with one. One and two are the longest. Fit them in and work your way back to 7 and 8.
Have a good crimper and expect it may not go 100% perfect the first try.

Back in the day I used Rajah straight terminals (foto) and Packard 440 wires (didn't have a radio in the vehicle). Now I inherited a set of yellow Accell "Super Stock" 8mm.

Rajah.png

I don't know if the Accel 8mm will fit in the original holders. Carefully try 'em.
I was able to roll some larger than stock Jacobs wires into the holders on my AMC.
Generally stock routing is well laid out in terms of providing support and keeping away from heat.
But even 273 vary from year to year. For example look at the routing in the photos the new member with '69 Dart just posted.

I put new MSD Streetfire wires on my 70 Dart 340 yesterday and it went like this. Held all the wires up picked the longest and put it on 2. Next longest went to 1. next to 3 and the next to 4. The rest 6.8.5.7 are about the same run length so do what looks nice to you. Make SURE you run 5 and 7 without crossing under or over or touching anywhere from cap to plug. Sometime these 2 cylinders will cross fire if the wires touch.
Have fun. Jerry

-
Back