Mech cam Q

-

dodgetkboy78

EDELBROCK HEADS SUCK!
Reaction score
What would be the easiest way to tell if your engine had a mechanical cam, if it is complete, in the car, and running...........

Lord I hope this thing is mech..............

Rocker lash would lead to a slap sound when your ear is near the valve cover....as if you couldn't hear it anyway without bending over to listen.... LOL But that would be it.

BUT, if it's a Hyd. cam that sounds like a mechanical unit, then does that mean you have cheap free adjustable rocker arms?

OR a wiped cam?

Jezzz dude, seriously speaking, I answered honestly. Other than that, I can't think of a thing that would give away a mech. cam stock or otherwise.

Lets see... is it a '70 vintage 340 (Mech. gear) or early 273? (Mech. cam and gear) If not, OE cams were Hyd. and that's it to my mind as of right now. I can't think of another.

If someone changed any Hyd part out, cam and or rockers, you'll hear it. Ya know it's a bit loud by compare.

Well, a mechanical cam requires adjustable rockers while hydraulics (if they have stock rockers) are unadjustable stamped-steel.

Well, a mechanical cam requires adjustable rockers while hydraulics (if they have stock rockers) are unadjustable stamped-steel.

saave the 5 pak 340 in 70..... right????

Got an engine stethoscope? Usually used to diagnose engine noises. I would think the sound of a solid cam would be pretty distinct, should sound kinda like chattering. Other than that, like said already, pull the valve cover and check the rockers.

The solid cam in a 273 dos'nt make any noise if adjusted properly....
if pulling a valve cover to look for ajustable valvetrain is not a good answer,
can we ask why you hope it is.
What is the rest of the story??

It has 273 rockers..................

Hoping for a way to tell without yanking things off the motor......... more than a valve cover.

Hell, all my small blocks with hyd cams had adjustable rockers...........

You guys are on the same stump I am. How to tell without actually LOOKING at the lifter.

-
Back