Mechanical Cam

-

66VALIANT

Reaction score
Hey guys im gonna build a 273 and i was thinking of putting a mechanical cam in it i have a edelbrock performer intake idle to 5800 rpm the heads are stock closed chamber, its a forged crank its bored 30 over im gonna run electronic ign with the orange mopar box stock manifolds with a 4 speed in a 66 plymouth valiant its a 68 block do i have to do anything special to the block itself to use a mechanical cam or not im gettin the adjustable rocker arms and pushrods, thanks guys

Nothing needs tobe done to the block. The 273 came stock with a mech. cam. Just add the proper length pushrods and adjustable rockers and your set.
Have fun

LOL, your kidding right? I say that because you gave not one detail about anything, so..............

Answer these questions so we (I) have an idea where we are going with this build.

Assuming the car is your screen name;

Whats is the;

Weight of the car
tranny used
rear alxe gears
intended use or what you want out of the car?
tire size

any other performance parts on the car/in a box for the car ready to go on?
Any work done to the motor like a recent rebuild, heads worked on, shift kit in tranny, etc....

With these answered, I'll have a good idea what you have and where you want to go with the car. Then and only about then can someone make a decent suggestion on what would be a good (Ball park) cam for you.

Now, whatcha got going on!!!!!!!

Weight of the car: 2900
tranny used 4 speed a 833 non overdrive
rear alxe gears 3.55
intended use or what you want out of the car? Weekend driver dont care about driveability too much its just a toy
tire size 14 in, prolly like 205 70s
heads are closed chamber nothing done yet i might do a little work nothing major, the compression should be 9 to 1 the oter info is at the top,thanks

For a off the shelf cam, I'd do a comp cam 270. I believe it's 224 @ .050. This should work well. Lift wasn't to big ethier. When you do your heads, just a bowl porting and back cutting of the valves will do great. Or grab a nice valve like Ferrea to replace the stockers.

Remember, you could ask comp (Or other cam manufacures ) for a custom cam for no more than a few pennys more and it'll take just a few days to grind. I'd get a split duration cam with about 8 - 10 degress more on the exhaust with the manifolds.

You got it, have fun.

(Call Comp cams or other. I'd do a slightly less intake duration, about 218 - 220 and the *8 more on the exhaust, but then again, ask the pro's. Or tell'em what you want.

Remember, it's an opinion and everybodies will differ some.)

Enjoy

-
Back