Mechanical Engineering students!

-

dkbug

Reaction score
Who all on FABO is in an engineering program with a college? I am a current Oklahoma Engineering student and have just started Calc II and Engineering Physics II.

Speak up!!

Dakota

Yep... Maybe 4 semesters but I'm trying to get done so I can decide on grad school or not. Mainly depends on the wife's job situation.

Mechanical, Oklahoma State, 7 years ago! lol

SOONER!!!!!!!!

Kinda cool to reach out and talk to some other engineers. I am about to get into the roughest part of the road when it comes to class difficulty. My dart wont get much love from me next year ):

Mechanical, Oklahoma State, 7 years ago! lol

Best school in Oklahoma for mechanical!!! Why didn't you go the extra 2 semesters and double in Aero? I hear the program is great and TONS of jobs just opened now that Boeing is here and Tinker just started new programs with engine remanufacturers.

Dakota

Best school in Oklahoma for mechanical!!! Why didn't you go the extra 2 semesters and double in Aero? I hear the program is great and TONS of jobs just opened now that Boeing is here and Tinker just started new programs with engine remanufacturers.

Dakota

Mainly because I had changed majors too many times which caused me to restart classes all over again everytime I chagned because they wouldn't transfer. I ended up being in school 7 years before I graduated. At that point I was done. My senior design was in aero and I knew I was going to end up in aerospace anyhow. I'm now working at Spirit Aerosystems which was Boeing prior to 2005. I just didn't see any need for the double major.

I could have answered "yes" to "ME student?" 36 yrs ago, USF Tampa, but we had no internet then. ME's tend to appreciate old Mopars.

Another old ME here from South Dakota School of Mines & Tech in 1970. Retired now but worked in mining industry. Good luck with your studies. Job possibilities are good for ME as you are versatile.

Not a current student, but I got my Aerospace engineering degree from UCLA in '02.

I have the LAST University of Detroit BME diplomas from summer of 90 (there was only 33 of us graduating at the end of summer semester, 30 engineers and 3 architects), the next semester they merged with Mercy to become U of D Mercy - If it was Mercy U of D, they would be MUD....

My son is completing his general ed classes at a local community college here and is planning to go to Southern IL University in fall for ME.

Good luck guys. Calc II is difficult and you need to know it well for your future classes like differential equations.

I remember being up studying past 2 AM during weekdays while the "business major" in the dorm room next to me was partying by 9 PM every night.... His girlfriend did his homework for him, then he dumped her senior year. We called them "blowoff business majors"... Their classes weren't half as hard as ours were. I was taking 22 - 24 credit hours per semester and went 3 summers just to get out in 4 years. It's hard work, but worth it afterwards.

I really enjoyed Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) I & II and testing the different engines on a dyno.

I just missed taking thermodynamics with one of the best thermo teachers in the country, Dr. Juinn P Chiu (we called him Jimmy Chiu). He was my advisor and died over spring break when I was starting thermo in the fall. He was going to China to visit his sick mother and had a brain hemorrhage on the flight there and died before the plane landed. I was sooo bummed. He had either 77 or 177 technical papers on heat transfer and thermodynamics, worked at U of D full time, contracted at Chrysler part time and did research at school (only slept 4 hours per night). He told his thermo class why the space shuttle Challenger blew up 1/2 hour after it happened! He had been involved in the design of the booster seals and knew the seal was unstable below 40° F. He designed the air to air intercooler for Chrysler's turbo II engines. One of my upper classmen friends could not understand one of the concepts and went to his office for help, then missed that problem on the next test. When Dr. Chiu handed him back his test, he asked him "What happened? How did you miss that after we went over it?" He really cared about us students. He also structured Thermo I so if you did all your work and put in reasonable effort, you could get by with a "C" which helped the electrical and chemical engineers get through Thermo I (it was required for them). Mechanical engineers had to take Thermo II as a requirement for our degree.

The guy that replaced him wasn't as good as he was. Dean Haman realized that we did not get thermo to the same level as Dr. Chiu's students and had to take a week or two at the beginning of ICE I to get us caught up. Dean Haman taught ICE I & II, he was the head dean of Mechanical Engineering at the time (he also had a Dr. degree).

Oh, the good 'ol days....

I did wind tunnel testing for Grumman for a number of years (Low Speed Wind Tunnel and a very small amount of work in the Hypersonic Wind Tunnel). But that was years ago. Grumman went from 26,000 employees to under 5,000 after the Soviet Union collapsed and the Defense cutbacks began in the 1990s. The end came when Grumman merged with Northrop. No need for redundant systems. So many excellent aero engineers were suddenly out of work and there were very few jobs open in the industry. Truly the darkest of days in the industry.

Ya I am plugging on and am working as hard as I can. I definitely don't give up on ANYTHING. I WILL get it. I made a vow to my family since I have gone the furthest than anyone in my family since my great grandfather. He was a safety engineer. Man the money he was making was awesome though. He took me on two 2 month vacations through China and Europe. Beautiful places. Awesome to see so many engineers on the board!!!! You guys have done your time and my time has just started!!!

BSME NJIT 1979! May be tough now, but hang in there and get her done! You'll do well in the future. Retired at 55 and loving life.

That's my dream. I am a freaking car nut. 90% mopar and 10% LS series. I would LOVE to retire at an earlier age and just have all the free time to enjoy my children and grandchildren grow up. Though I am at an early age now, I can dream!!!

I would like to be able to afford that 6.4L Hemi to stab in the swinger also.... Someday.

-
Back