Mechanical Help!!!

-

timothy c

Reaction score
Recently, while driving my 67 dart (6 cyl) around town, I noticed that when I hit the smallest bump on the road, I’d hear a high pitch squeal, almost like when you brake real hard and the rubber is in contact with the pavement. Anyway, the noise became continuous over the weekend…

Here’s some additional information…
  • Noise gets louder the faster I go
  • Appears to be coming from the front of the car
  • Again, its sounds like when you skid the tires on pavement
  • Only hear noise when the car is in gear and moving
  • Car shifts fine
  • No change in steering
  • No unusual smells from under the hood
  • Temperature, voltage and oil pressure are all within normal range
  • No excessive heat around the wheel area

Here’s what I’ve done…
  • Pulled front wheels, and inspected inner / outer bearings, race, seal, and spindle. Everything looked fine. Repacked and reassembled.
  • Checked belts…all are within tolerance and no squealing at all (checked under load)
  • Noticed level was low on power steering pump, so added fluid. When running the engine, fluid started oozing from under the cap. May have over-filled?
  • Did notice recently leakage from the power steering pump area.
I’m contemplating replacing the power steering pump, just because it’s leaking from somewhere; however, I want to zero in on the root cause. Assuming it might be the power steering pump, wouldn’t I notice a change in the steering wheel?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Tim

IMO without being there and being you already checked the wheel bearings, I think your power steering pump bearings went out.

I have had PS pumps squeel when bad.

unhook the power steering belt and go for a short test drive...it will hard steering at slow speeds, but that would pinpoint the problem if it isn't squealing with the belt off.

Just my two cents. You said it only happens in gear and moving but the pump is engaged while at idle as well. Maybe try and lift the rear end and accelerate to try and pinpoint the squeal. If it is the bearing in the pump I would think you should hear at least something at idle.

My car would make a sqeal sound as well. Mine was a loose and worn belt. Belt looked good but was getting hard, from age I guess. And if you are leaking fluid, some may have got on belt and helping it to slip on the pully. Like stated earlier, take belt off and test drive.

Thank you to all for the suggestions! I'm, going to troubleshoot this weekend and see where I end up. Wish me luck...

Tim

I know this is obvious, but you didn't mention it in the items you checked. I'm presuming front drums. Did you check the brakes for excessive, unusual pad wear?

Grant

I would check the u joints hard to tell where the noise is comming from

From your comments about "engine running and in gear," I assume you have tried getting the squeal to appear, then kicking into neutral and shutting off the engine?

When I inspected the front wheel bearing, did look at brake pads and adjusted when reinstalling drum. Good thought though...Thanks

Again thanks to all who offered up suggestions on how to troubleshoot the noise coming from what I'm sure is the driver side of the my car...here's where I'm at today...

• Eliminated the PS Pump and Drivetrain as source of noise per suggestions above (great ideas...thanks again!)
  • Removed front wheels and inspected suspension. Doesn't look good! Pictures below show collapsed or damaged seals. I believe this may be the "root cause" for the noise but not the source of the noise itself.
  • I switched front wheels when reinstalling. Left to right, right to left.
  • Noise is no longer on the driver side, is now on the passenger side.
  • All along, noise has sounded like rubber to pavement squealing
My conclusion is that the apparent poor condition through visual inspection of the suspension (seals, ball joints, etc) ruined the original driver side tire (now moved to passenger side). The tire shows significant wear inboard on the tread.

Is my conclusion sound? Both sides of the suspension look bad, but only the one tire shows unusual wear However, the car handles perfectly and does not vibrate or shimmy at high speeds. Nothing seems loose on the suspension...could it be just a bad tire?

Again, you guys are awesome and I've really appreciated your input. Your thoughts???

Tim

Attachments

• Suspension DD 004.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Suspension DD 006.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Suspension DD 001.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Suspension DD 003.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 145
Incorrect alignment will cause the uneven wear on the tire, and if the alignment is off, it will cause the tire to scrub since it is not always rolling straightforward. Your ball joints may or may not be bad (loose) or you would hear a clunk occasionally, but the fact the boots are shot, allows dirt and sand into the joint causing friction and accelerated wear. Good time to get a kit and have them changed. New tie rods and an alignment. A good front end is not only more enjoyable, but a lot safer too.

Grant

Bad rubber boots is very common, but I don't see any way they could cause a squeal directly. If they still feel tight, force grease thru as you clean the gunk, then install polyurethane boots. As mentioned, bad ball joints and steering parts will cause clunking sounds when you hit bumps. Your thought of a bad tire, or maybe even the wheel (cracks?) sounds more likely.

I wouldn't run out and buy a suspension kit. The prices will drop your jaw. You don't pay much more if you buy parts piecemeal and can choose better parts that way (and only what is needed), like "improved design" strut bushings, "offset" upper control arm bushings to improve caster adjustment (search threads), and polyurethane. In my 65 Dart, I only changed parts where I could feel or see any play by wiggling and tugging - lower ball joints yes (one, but changed both), upper ball joints and tie rod ends nope, bushings yes (indeed all rubber, including boots). Lower ball joints for early A's w/ drums are killers (paid $65 at Autozone and saw >>$100 elsewhere), though I later got a new Moog one off ebay for ~$30.

My 64 Valiant has totally shot upper bushings, and the idler arm tilts up and down when I move the right wheel (shouldn't). It appears much worse than my Dart, yet I drove it 90 miles after buying and heard no squeals, just a clunk when braking that made me think "bad bushings?".

-
Back