Mechanical Water Temperature Sender Install

-

340-Swinger

Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to install a mechanical water temperature sender on my 340 motor. I know this isn't rocket science stuff but I can't seen to google anything for installation instructions/ guides. I've been searching everywhere on where to install the sender. What are you guys that have mechanical units have the sender installed, best location on the intake manifold ( I would like to keep the electrical dash gauge sender) What about a thermostat housing with the sender unit hole already drilled and tapped. Does anyone make such an animal ? Has anyone drilled and tapped the intake manifold while still on the car ? Any other good sender locations ?

Thanks
GregH

I used a series of brass tee, nipples, and adaptors, until I ever pull the manifold again, I may drill and tap. personally I would`nt drill/tap, on engine. Some will suggest using grease in flutes to catch shavings. Your call. I have`nt seen T housings yet but that would be ideal if your tubeing is long enough.

This is kinda what I'm looking for - but all this is for an electrical sender unit.
The thermostat housing fits a GM.

969-9930.jpg

product_image.jpg

105-2281.jpg

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I think I've narrowed it down to an adaptor that sits under the thermostat housing. Similar to the item below but for a SB Mopar motor. The setup I have is an Eldelbrock Torker Intake manifold. Does anyone know of a spacer that I can buy that will fit. This is driving me nuts.......I know it's been done thousands of time before.

Item description

Thermostat Housing Ported Spacer

This waterneck spacer is 1" thick and has two 3/8" NPT ports, O-Ring seal base and it accepts a thermostat. Fits Chevy and BB Mopar.

GregH

MZR-WN0028.jpg

I was just gonna mention that the GM water stat /neck would fit on. See it's in the description above.
Not all intake have a provision for a mech water temp sender and the brass fittings included with the gauge do not cover all applications.
Electric gauges made today are very good and acurrate, quick reacting units.

-
Back