Media blasting question...

-

danmc77

Reaction score
First, can anybody recommend a place in SE PA that will strip my car? I'm sure there are dozens out there, but I would rather someone recommend a reputable place that knows how NOT to warp and damage body panels along the way.

Second, how does the stripping process work - after it's stripped, does the shop typically seal the bare metal? And, as I do the body work at home, I guess I'll have to re-strip that sealer to add any fillers or patch panels?

And last, how much would I excpect to pay if I drop off a completely dismantled - and ready to blast - car?

Thanks.

Pay the extra 100 or so to use dry ice media. No warping, no residue.
Primer eveything imediately after stripping.

Pay the extra 100 or so to use dry ice media. No warping, no residue.
Primer eveything imediately after stripping.
Do I primer after stripping, or does the stripper(the shop) typically do it?

You usually have to do the priming. And make sure you spend a day or two with the air gun blowing out all the little corners and holes to get all the media out. And be liberal with the primer, self etching or the primer you can weld right ontop of works great to.

Somebody needs to. I might move a car from strippers shop to body shop in a dry climate like Arizona. Trailer on in the rain and bare metal will begin to rust faster than you can mix the primer.

Somebody needs to. I might move a car from strippers shop to body shop in a dry climate like Arizona. Trailer on in the rain and bare metal will begin to rust faster than you can mix the primer.
Yeah - that's my concern. Up here in the northeast, I would think it would flash rust within a few hours.

I guess it's not that hard to figure out - I'll just have to ask the stripper to seal it.

eh - Eastwood has a Soda blaster for less than $200 - and they're right up the street from me. Like everything else, maybe I'll just buy one and do it myself. I have 3 other projects that will have to be done too, so that = major $ saved.

Anybody know if the soda destroys grass? I could do it in my driveway, but the neighbors might have a problem with a trail of white dirty water running down the street and into the sewer (although, I know the soda is harmless - it's a perception thing). I'd probably have to do it in my back yard, but I don;t want to kill the grass or have a pile of white powder that won't go away.

Any advice or experience doing this type of thing in a residential area - more specifically in a back yard in the grass?

The macine is only $200 but how much is the soda and how much will you need to do a whole car? I have a blast cabnet for the garage which is great for all the small stuff but we bought an open power washer style media blaster and all it did was make a mess.

I am having my 71 Duster glass media blasted as we speak. Cost is about $900 plus another $650 for getting them to prime it. I hope it turns out well. I am in Southern KY.

-
Back