Megasquirt/Computer Mounting

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So I hope to have all the pieces to my fuel injection puzzle coming together in the next week or two and I got to thinking that there's no reason I couldn't get all the wiring done ahead of time while I'm waiting on parts to be delivered. I know that the Megasquirt main computer at least needs to be in the interior for weather protection, and I don't really feel like cutting a big hole in the firewall to pass the 37 pin connector between it and the relay board, so I plan to mount both inside. I took a look under the dash and there's really not much for flat surfaces to work with, so I was wondering what other people had done for computer mounting options. I thought about putting the relay board near the passenger kick panel (just above it or maybe behind it) and the computer in the glove box, but I wasn't sold on the idea. I thought about making a mounting bracket that hangs off the bottom of the dash and doing it that way, but then I figured surely someone out there has already mounted a system, so has anyone got pictures of their computer setup? I would like to keep fairly easy access to the relay board at least so I can replace fuses and relays if needed, and easy access to the computer for programming would be nice, but I can always just leave a cable attached and tuck it out of sight when not in use.

I'm still building mine. But would be intrested to see pics as well. My project hasbeen on hold lately due to slack ofmotivation. But that will change once I get some more parts.

I tossed arround theidea of doing a dash mounted set up, but mine is more racecar than street. So easy access and function Comes in more that looks in my case. But can't wait to see what you decide.

I don't have mine mounted yet, but I played with the location. It will fit long ways with the 37 pin connector facing backwards right under the dash where my fuse box was. It has room, now I just need to make it work.

If you are leaving your Heater in place, you can mount it upside down hanging off dash. My heater is coming out so I am will be mounting my Relay Board and ECU in its place.
I will be running the wires out to the engine in the trans tunnel low so they are not seen.

You could mount the ECU under the passenger seat and put your fuse block and Relay board above the Passenger Kick panel leaving your Heater in place.

Also if you have a shift console mount the ECU under the stock shift console forward of the shift lever running the ECU tuning cable into the console storage, then mount your relays above the kick panel.

I am mounting my ecus (FAST system) in the location of the glove box, using a flat alum panel. The fast system has LEDs that verify sensors and injectors are working.. So i wanna be able to see 'em easily. The rest of the fuse panel and relays will be in the pass kick panel so they are close. I have a guy fabbing up a plate to mount that stuff right now. Hopefully i get it back next week, i will post pics when i do...

this is NOT in my A body, but the same idea you are looking for. Glovebox mounted.
DSC07342.jpg

I'm using the factory computer and rewired the harness myself to add necessary fuses and relays. I connected it all together and I am mounting it on the driver side kick panel area. I had to remove the vent box and put a plate over it, but I wanted to keep a functional glovebox and air conditioning.
Here's a picture of an early mockup. kinda messy but you get the idea.

Attachments

• computer mounting.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 427
Hmm, thanks for all the ideas. I never really thought about putting part of it under the seat. I have 94 Viper seats in mine thought, so not sure I have the kind of clearance I need, still not a bad idea to look into. I do have the heater box in the car still and plan to probably keep it there since I may consider an A/C system sometime down the road. I have the original fuse block in place as well, but putting it at the driver kick panel would make sense because all the other fuses are also right there. I've got a stick shift in mine, so I'll have to check clutch clearances, but I wouldn't think it would be much different than the passenger side. I'd like to keep as much real estate as possible in the glove box since I do keep some tools in there for emergencies, but I'm thinking that would probably be one of the easier places to put something and keep good access. Looking forward to seeing some more pictures from other installs!

Clearly, the Megasquirt ECM needs to be mounted in the passenger compartment as it is NOT designed for the under-hood environment. Though since EVERY poster above has made various suggestions of mounting the box somewhere in the passenger compartment this might be a bit obvious.

I like the idea of using bulkhead connectors between the engine compartment and firewall, they are a bit pricey but I think they would facilitate wiring and future engine removal.

Here's the Bulkhead connectors:

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/weather-pack-22-position-bulkhead-connector-kit-p-364.html

Here's a bulk head connector mounting bracket

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mounting-plate-for-twin-22-pin-weather-pack-connectors-p-475.html

Also I like the picture of the ECM mounted in the glove box. That looks very clean. Does anyone actually keep gloves in the glovebox?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Yeah, my dad mentioned bulkhead connectors. Not a bad idea, just a lot of wiring, lol. Right now I'm thinking I might put the relay board in the glovebox and mount the computer under the dash somewhere. I do keep some things in the glovebox like a multi-tool, adjustable wrench, lugnut key, and vehicle registration stuff, so I don't want to eat up all my space, but it probably woudln't be too bad. The glovebox isn't nearly as deep as I originally thought it was which was a little disappointing. I'm also trying to figure out where I want all the wires to come through the firewall so I can try to put the relay board close to the hole. I already drilled one hole for an oil pressure and water temp gauge along with some other wiring, but it's too full to fit any more wires. I was thinking I'd probably put a hole on the passenger side somewhere where I have more room to work with. My dad also suggested putting the computer on the passenger toe board and just making a cover for it that would keep someone from kicking it. I may have to look into that again and see just how much it woudl stick out.

I keep a 2 tool bags in the trunk. 1 is for miscellaneous tools and the other is for extra ignition parts, "Rotors-Caps-spark plugs, etc". Just an Idea so you can use your glove box as needed for the relay's or whatever.

Yeah, I may make a little box or something to put opposite the jack side in my trunk that I could toss some stuff in. I don't know that an adjustable wrench and leatherman style multi-tool will do all that much for me anyway. I have a better kit in my Corvette that came out of a Harley, lol. My dad bought the bike and got a second tool kit in a deal, so I just tossed that in the car. It's actually got a lot of tools for a small package. It's got a really nice screwdriver with all sorts of bits on it because the main shank of the screwdriver comes out and there are bits in both sides that come out and can be flipped around.

Here are some pics of the panel I had build for my ECU's, the panel it self is about 17X9, large enough for both my EFI and Ignition ECU's, I would think a smaller ECU and main fuse panel would fit as well. It fits from the outside of the Glove box to just inside the Defrost tube. It will bolt up in 3 places, and the angled side are just for rigidity/strength.

I can't decide if I should firm mount the plate, and put the ECU's on rubber, or mount the entire plate on rubber and firm mount the ECU's to it...

JOE

Attachments

• P1000417.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 315
  • P1000418.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 319
  • P1000419.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 311
  • P1000420.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 302
  • P1000421.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 315
You guys are ahead of me by a few weeks, so thxs for the input. I am going to mount the wiper assemblies, the brand new AC/heater assembly, dashboard and then start wiring. I am hoping I won't have to resort to the glovebox, but will keep it in mind. We just have a stock Mopar computer, so only one box to fit somewhere.

I think my latest plan is to just attach the main EMS to the front of the heater box with some velcro or whatnot and probably look into putting the relay board in the glovebox somehow. You'll just be able to see the EMS from the passenger seat, but you'd have to be trying pretty hard to kick it, so I'm not too worried about it. If there's enough room I may try to put the relay board in the same general area, but I haven't had a chance to mock it up yet. Did just get my gas tank the other day though, so I have all the pieces ready for the FI swap, just need to get over this sickness I got hit with and hope the weather is warm enough this weekend.

Okay, just got the car up and running and ended up making a mounting decision. I got really lucky and the main EMS box actually wedges up pretty nice between the bottom of the glovebox and the lower dash support, so I didn't even have to really bolt anything in, though I may make a little strap to make sure it doesn't bounce around everywhere. It fits pretty snug as is, though I was thinking about bolting it to the bottom of the glovebox so there would be screwheads on the bottom of the glovebox on the inside, but I wouldn't lose any space in there. The relay board I mounted on the front of the heater box with some velcro. You can still see part of it below the dash, but it's easy to get to the relays, fuses, and wiring if there is a problem, so I sacrificed a little visual appeal for utility. I'll try to get some pictures up later when the weather clears and I get the chance.

Here's where I ended up putting the relay board. The computer is pretty much right above it, but you can't even see it if you look up under the dash, it tucks away real nice. It's basically directly below the glove box and tucked up between it and the bottom part of the dash.

Attachments

• P1010869.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 229
  • P1010870.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 241
No, I already had the MSD box from when I did the carb swap originally, so I left it installed since it has been working well and was one less thing to try to figure out. It uses the stock cam and crank signals, but it has a nice 12v square wave tach line out that plays along well with the MS and made the install pretty easy. I didn't want to mess with sorting out the igniter issues that are required to run the stock coils either. My current issue to trying to get the tach to work again. I have a little cheapo column mounted tach that used to run off the MSD tach line (using an MSD tach adapter box), but I'm having a hard time figuring out if I can use the ignition output wire of the relay board to trigger it somehow.

-
Back