Melling camshaft

-

plugger340

Reaction score
Are most makes of camshafts about the same? I am looking at a Melling cam but I haven't heard too much about them. They list a class I (200-215 duration) and a class II (215-230 duration), based on a .050 cam lift. The class I is refered as 'good idle' quality while the class II is a 'fair idle' quality. I'm not sure what the difference would be between a 'good idle' and a 'fair idle'. :help: I want something that doesn't sound like it's going to die if I don't give it gas. I've a 340 but it'll never see the track. Input would be greatly appreciated.

The Melling cams are vey light performance cams. They are a step up from stock, but really don't push any envelope in terms of technology or performance. Thier idea of "moderate idle" has typically been "barely noticable" when I've heard them. But, I havent heard or used them in Mopars so maybe that's different. If you can get and post the part number or the cam's specs and details on your build we could give you a better idea of what it should be like.

I would look for a cam with 112-114 lobe centers. It won't make the most peek power but give a strong idle and a wider power band.

Those melling cams are lower lift, should last 100,000 miles on the street if they are made well.

Even the stock 340 cam with 114 lobe centers might be what you are looking for. Give it some compression.

There aren't but a handful of companies in the world that actually MAKE the camshaft. There are a lot of companies grinding them. Melling has changed hands so many times through the years that you can almost rest assured that they are an overseas cam now. that's not to say they might not be any good. It's just that there's been a rash of bad metal comin from China in particular. If it was me, I would be careful.

I would look for a cam with 112-114 lobe centers. It won't make the most peek power but give a strong idle and a wider power band.

Those melling cams are lower lift, should last 100,000 miles on the street if they are made well.

Even the stock 340 cam with 114 lobe centers might be what you are looking for. Give it some compression.

Indeed. This was the advice I gave shortly afrer joining here. A wide lobe separation is much better on the street. But I got buried in arguement, so I gave up. While the narrow lobe center will provide ultimate peak power, the power is exactly that. Peaky. Using the wide lobe centers makes the torque curve much flatter, picks the low end torque up a LOT, makes the torque curve longer and aids in creating a strong vacuum signal at idle resulting in a smoother idling engine, all while giving up a very small amout of total power.

The Melling cams are vey light performance cams. ... If you can get and post the part number or the cam's specs and details on your build we could give you a better idea of what it should be like.

Melling MTD-1

I apologize in advance as the picture that I have is fuzzy and the Melling website isn't that helpful.

Cam Lift INT .280
EXH .295
@ .050 Duration
INT 204
EXH 215
Sae Duration (?)
INT 278
EXH 288
VALVE LIFT
INT .422 (?)
EXH .444 (?)
CAM LIFT
INT .281 (?)
EXH .296 (?)
LOBE CTR
INT 156 (?)
EXH 116

View attachment camshaft.jpg

........those mellings dont make anything for gas milage....or tq....i've change 3 out back 2 factory.............dont buy 1......i see lots of ppl like the summit cams.......i've never tried 1......kim.........

It's a lot of duration but designed to not tax the valvetrain. I'd be looking for something a little better myself, but if you have it...

Thanks for all the help. It looks like I'll have to do a lot more research on cams. I might go to rollers but that'll be for a new thread once I get things figured out.

-
Back