Melling M72HV oil pump.

-

rabius75

Reaction score
i was thinking, when i have my motor apart later on to redo the bearing and valve springs, etc. i should replace the oil pump. i found out i can pick up a melling M72HV (25% more volume than stock) from advance autoparts for $45.88. could htis pump be considered an 'upgrade' or at least an excellent replacement? i dont have a lot of experience being inside an engine, but i know somebody on this board has to have an opinion on melling :)
feedback plz
-jeff

rabius75 said:
i was thinking, when i have my motor apart later on to redo the bearing and valve springs, etc. i should replace the oil pump. i found out i can pick up a melling M72HV (25% more volume than stock) from advance autoparts for $45.88. could htis pump be considered an 'upgrade' or at least an excellent replacement? i dont have a lot of experience being inside an engine, but i know somebody on this board has to have an opinion on melling :)
feedback plz
-jeff

Hmmm... I was advised against going with the high volume pump with a stock pan when I was building my street motor. The high volume pump could possibly suck the pan very low, if not dry, under certain circumstances. Therefore the need for more capacity, which means a deep sump/oversize capacity pan. And if the roads are as bad in your area as they are here, no way would a deep sump survive on the mean streets.... :eye:

Go with the stock M72

I have heard those rumors about empty pans and also I have got buddies that have runn High volume pumps for years on the street with stock pans no problems. I have an 8 QT pan on my small block but I will be going with a stock pan o the BB. Either way I run a high volume pump, the more oil the better. Just to let you know melling makes all the pumps no matter what the name. Some are reworked as in the case with the morroso blue printed pump but the core is made by melling. That pump you are thinking of would be an idel replacement for a stock pump.

-
Back