Melling SPD-22 cam question

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I picked up a Melling SPD-22 camshaft from Rockauto. Box is labelled as such. However theres no markings stamped into the cam. Anybody buy a Melling SPD-22? Is it stamped as such? Its basically a 68 340 cam.

Thanks
Matt

I have a big block Wolverine cam which is the same grind as a Melling MTD-2 (and the same one Edelbrock sells as it's Performer Plus cam). It does have a number stamped into the end, but it does not correspond to any part number I can find. They are all made by a company outside of Detroit called CMC and sold under different brand names. I wondered about mine too, and I measured the lobe lift and it seemed to fit the specs.

Theres no marking as to what it is stamped on the end of the cam. Is this normal? When I opened the box I was expecting to find SPD-22 stamped on the end of the cam.

This was the stamped number on the rear end of my cam

A9403D90-B894-428E-ACC4-F3FB710DE8D3.jpeg

Theres no marking as to what it is stamped on the end of the cam. Is this normal? When I opened the box I was expecting to find SPD-22 stamped on the end of the cam.

Well, you can always measure the lift and compare to the specs...but to answer your question, no I have not seen an aftermarket camshaft that's unmarked. Not that that means a darn thing. lol

Camshaft Machine Corporation grinds all of those generic cams for Melling, Comp, Isky, Elgin etc. Too much work to stamp every number on all of those different brand cams.

Camshaft Machine Corporation grinds all of those generic cams for Melling, Comp, Isky, Elgin etc. Too much work to stamp every number on all of those different brand cams.
Nowadays, most parts are etched by lasers with identifying numbers. It sounds like it must be an old school machine shop.

SPD-22 Melling Camshaft
No number markings on the cams.

Just the SPD-22 label on the Melling Box they come in, made in USA.

Red or Purple dot on the timing end behind the bearing, white or beige dot on the rear of the shaft by the distributor drive.
That's it.

I’m thinking out loud here (can you hear the rattling). The maker doesn't want to put a specific part number on it so it can be sold to different vendors.

^^^^^ Kind of like these 2 cams,
Enginetech 644, and
Melling SPD-22

Same grinds offered at Rockauto, different part numbers.
Same Cam

Screenshot_20210324-184350_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

20210324_185909.jpg

camshaftmachine.com is the outfit that makes the cores and grinds those generic cams

-
Back