Melling valve springs

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Looking into using melling VS380 springs with internal damper on our 318 build with 68 340 camshaft. Going to break it in with the single springs that came with the 302 heads, and then swap to something heavier afterwards. All it says on summits site is these are a great upgrade for stock to mildly hot modded engines, without coil bind issues. I guess what I am asking is, will these work on a set of 302 castings. They are not vehicle specific on these.

Thanks in advance
Matt

Last edited:
What cam? You have to look at your coil bind and spring rate. For a stock cam yea they will work but anything over that id look at comp 901-16

Id use comp 901s on that. They have a 1.1 coil bind giving you a .500 max lift assuming your install height is 1.625 my 302s are.

Looking into using melling VS380 springs with internal damper on our 318 build with 68 340 camshaft. Going to break it in with the single springs that came with the 302 heads, and then swap to something heavier afterwards. All it says on summits site is these are a great upgrade for stock to mildly hot modded engines, without coil bund issues. I guess what I am asking is, will these work on a set of 302 castings. They are not vehicle specific on these.

Thanks in advance
Matt

This makes me want to ask the question: what makes you feel they wouldn't work on a set of 302 castings? They are listed as stock replacement/mild performance, install with no machine work needed. Generally speaking, springs don't care what head they are going on, if they fit with out issue, and meet the requirements of the cam shaft, they will work; that being said, I would go up just a little bit on spring pressure. Melling claims 84 pounds on the seat at recommended installed height, I would look for something between 95 to 100 pounds on the seat.

I am sure others will have more to say.

You can also look into the trick flow tfs16901-16 springs they are pretty much identical to the comps but are 10 bucks cheaper. They have a 101 seat pressure @1.65 and another added bonus is you can use factory retainers on the 901 series springs.

This makes me want to ask the question: what makes you feel they wouldn't work on a set of 302 castings? They are listed as stock replacement/mild performance, install with no machine work needed. Generally speaking, springs don't care what head they are going on, if they fit with out issue, and meet the requirements of the cam shaft, they will work; that being said, I would go up just a little bit on spring pressure. Melling claims 84 pounds on the seat at recommended installed height, I would look for something between 95 to 100 pounds on the seat.

I am sure others will have more to say.

Because the listing for them does not specify any particular engine manufacturer GM, Chrysler, Ford etc. Just says stock to mild hop up, no coil bind. Did not want to buy them, and find out maybe they were too tall, diameter too big etc. I'm an autobody guy. I can build an engine, and have done it many times, but it's not something I do on a weekly basis like some of the engine Gurus on here. This is why I am asking before I pull the trigger on these.

-
Back