Mercury outboard question

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi all, doing annual maintenance on 90 HP 4stroke Mercury, impeller change, engine oil, bottom end oil etc....After changing impeller, I noticed with muffs on that there is a steady stream of water at front of bottom end. Normal?
Heres video
Thanks
Steve

Sorry Steve not at all familiar. if it is not coming from the port in the upper leg, the tell tale nozzle, or the regular under water outlet in the prop, the only other would be a vent in the intake area because the hose is overpowering that. Otherwise, "som ting wong"

i would drop the bottom end and check where the tube goes into the pump. the rubber fitting maybe damaged or out of place .

Thanks all, only 5 nuts to remove, but an awkward position, feeling like a dog jumping a football lol. Better safe then sorry.

@71GSSDemon literally works on mercs for a living

D'oh.jpg

Wish I had remembered that!

If left in the cold for winter, I'd certainly check the lower unit lube for any possible water contamination, JIC.
If you empty it, there's no chance of it freezing.
Was the water coming out of the leg hot/warm as though it had run through the power head?
Is the cooling water/exhaust supposed to be discharged through the prop hub? If so, was that happening as well?

My Chrysler 90 had a port for discharge that was fed from the power head via a tube IIRC.

1697493749658.png

Thanks Dave, got it apart, all looks good? Mine has a prop exit for some of the water. The hole that water was coming out of is machined. Was gonna install again but my back told me to f**k off lol. Cool looking boat/motor! Heres follow up video.
Thanks

If left in the cold for winter, I'd certainly check the lower unit lube for any possible water contamination, JIC.
If you empty it, there's no chance of it freezing.
Was the water coming out of the leg hot/warm as though it had run through the power head?
Is the cooling water/exhaust supposed to be discharged through the prop hub? If so, was that happening as well?

My Chrysler 90 had a port for discharge that was fed from the power head via a tube IIRC.

View attachment 1716154532

1697503246860.png

1697503776768.png

Appears that's just a drain Steve. Was it cold water from the hose/muffs or warm from the engine as the prop exit and the pee hole should be?

1697503565643.png
1697503654340.png

How about another annoying story from the old days?

"At the start" of Del's boat craze, I got a FREE Sea King glas boat with a FREE 45-50hp Sea King, a year that was built by Chrysler. I thought it would be cool to have a Chrysler outboard

The gearbox had a crack, and I looked around trying to find one, finally tore it apart. TURNS OUT it has some cavities in there that can get wet, designed that way, and a couple of VERY small drain holes, perhaps 1/8"

SOME IDIOT had coated a couple of sheet metal screws with RTV and tried to plug those holes!!!! Turns out the cracks were not very extensive, and did not compromise the gearbox. "One of these days" I'm going to "end drill the cracks to prevent spread, and hope to get it back to gether. It is, however, a VERY low priority.

The boat? Went to the dump after the usual saw cuts. Turns out the guy I got it from did not have a legit registration, and the registration was actually in the name of someone who seemed to be ill and may now be dead. He ran a B&B thing called "Fish-hawk Flats." It's a play on words. YOU, the guest, are the "fish hawk", and the "flat" is your rental B&B room. Like in England.

Last time I tried to contact him, he answered the phone and said, "I'm in the hospitol" in a very ragged voice, and hung up!!!!

The boat also had a wet transom, and a little bit of delamination, so it was not worth much trouble.

This joint he owned is down in a place called "Island Park, ID" in E Idaho down around Butte, MT, and Rexburg, ID. It would be an interesting area if I were younger

"Fish Hawk Flats"
getlstd-property-photo.jpg

Cool story Del, that's a beautiful place, wow!
Dave, pretty sure the water was warm, but not 100%. I'll chk once 8ts back together. There appears to be no issue, I guess I need to pay more attn lol.
How about another annoying story from the old days?

"At the start" of Del's boat craze, I got a FREE Sea King glas boat with a FREE 45-50hp Sea King, a year that was built by Chrysler. I thought it would be cool to have a Chrysler outboard

The gearbox had a crack, and I looked around trying to find one, finally tore it apart. TURNS OUT it has some cavities in there that can get wet, designed that way, and a couple of VERY small drain holes, perhaps 1/8"

SOME IDIOT had coated a couple of sheet metal screws with RTV and tried to plug those holes!!!! Turns out the cracks were not very extensive, and did not compromise the gearbox. "One of these days" I'm going to "end drill the cracks to prevent spread, and hope to get it back to gether. It is, however, a VERY low priority.

The boat? Went to the dump after the usual saw cuts. Turns out the guy I got it from did not have a legit registration, and the registration was actually in the name of someone who seemed to be ill and may now be dead. He ran a B&B thing called "Fish-hawk Flats." It's a play on words. YOU, the guest, are the "fish hawk", and the "flat" is your rental B&B room. Like in England.

Last time I tried to contact him, he answered the phone and said, "I'm in the hospitol" in a very ragged voice, and hung up!!!!

The boat also had a wet transom, and a little bit of delamination, so it was not worth much trouble.

This joint he owned is down in a place called "Island Park, ID" in E Idaho down around Butte, MT, and Rexburg, ID. It would be an interesting area if I were younger

"Fish Hawk Flats"
View attachment 1716154622
View attachment 1716154595

View attachment 1716154604

Appears that's just a drain Steve. Was it cold water from the hose/muffs or warm from the engine as the prop exit and the pee hole should be?

View attachment 1716154599

View attachment 1716154600

@Sublime one Thanks John. It appears maybe the water tube isn't aligned. Most should come out of the prop/hub. The tell tale and other block drains will leak water also, but it seems there is a lot just leaking out. Hope this helps

Thanks, everything seems to be lined up? Here's pics after taking it apart.
Pointing at the hole where water comes out.
@Sublime one Thanks John. It appears maybe the water tube isn't aligned. Most should come out of the prop/hub. The tell tale and other block drains will leak water also, but it seems there is a lot just leaking out. Hope this helps

20231016_171405.jpg

20231016_171133.jpg

20231016_171308.jpg

I had 2 guys from the gear case group watch the video and see the pictures. It is abnormal to have this much water leaking out, there. General consensus is the water tube adapter (shown below) was misaligned or the combination of gaskets/steel plates is off or out of order. Not sure how you installed the water tube adapter, if it was on the gear case or up on the tube. We install the gear case with the adapter on the water pump housing. If it didn't leak like this before the maintenance, then it is in what was changed (obvious I know).

1697548790823.png

Thanks for showing the video to some of your crew. Adapter was installed on the impeller housing and flared end up. I will chk orientation of the plates to see if I buggered anything up.
Thank you and crew. :thumbsup:
I had 2 guys from the gear case group watch the video and see the pictures. It is abnormal to have this much water leaking out, there. General consensus is the water tube adapter (shown below) was misaligned or the combination of gaskets/steel plates is off or out of order. Not sure how you installed the water tube adapter, if it was on the gear case or up on the tube. We install the gear case with the adapter on the water pump housing. If it didn't leak like this before the maintenance, then it is in what was changed (obvious I know).

View attachment 1716154739

Thanks for showing the video to some of your crew. Adapter was installed on the impeller housing and flared end up. I will chk orientation of the plates to see if I buggered anything up.
Thank you and crew. :thumbsup:
Let me know what you find. I haven't done a maintenance in about a decade myself, I do different type of work, but have people I can talk to.

Steve, FYI I own a Mercury dealership in BC, what your seeing is normal, the exhaust housing or mid section has water in it when running so when you tilt them down with engine off it will drain and not freeze, when they run water continuously pours out, perfectly normal.

Thanks all, looks like I was shorted a gasket in the Sierra impeller kit. The one that goes on under the steel base plate. I thought Sierra had done an "upgrade" and I installed wrong gasket :BangHead: Hey it fit...doh.
I had a Quicksliver kit that had the right gasket. It looks symmetrical, but it's not, same as base plate.
Of course the lower unit wouldnt go back in. Unbelievable. All day and i mean all day, then it finally went in. Lori came out a few times to help. Splines on top rod wouldnt engage properly. I pried the flywheel a few times to try to line up.
Literally torched my back a few times.
It's on and tightened, tomorrow I'll refill bottom end and fire up.
Thanks all.

20231017_100648.jpg

20231017_104846.jpg

20231017_105020.jpg

20231017_110222.jpg

Thanks all, looks like I was shorted a gasket in the Sierra impeller kit. The one that goes on under the steel base plate. I thought Sierra had done an "upgrade" and I installed wrong gasket :BangHead: Hey it fit...doh.
I had a Quicksliver kit that had the right gasket. It looks symmetrical, but it's not, same as base plate.
Of course the lower unit wouldnt go back in. Unbelievable. All day and i mean all day, then it finally went in. Lori came out a few times to help. Splines on top rod wouldnt engage properly. I pried the flywheel a few times to try to line up.
Literally torched my back a few times.
It's on and tightened, tomorrow I'll refill bottom end and fire up.
Thanks all.

View attachment 1716155047

View attachment 1716155048

View attachment 1716155049

View attachment 1716155050
Great news Steve. Hopefully everything is straightened out........LOL, I have the original water pump in my 1996 Honda BF8 kicker that I have owned for 25 years. It just keeps ticking. I bought all of the seals and impeller kit 20 years ago with good intentions........

-
Back