Mercury rear axle assy.

-

DARTDALE

Reaction score
Ok,here is what I need help figuring out.I have a friend with a 1979 Mercury Cougar XR7,rear end is the only thing left.Trying to figure out if it has an 8.8 or a 9 inch.Couldnt get under car far enough to get any numbers,however the end of the axle shaft has 4 holes in the center section,not one big one ,not 2 small ones with a smaller one in the center.I personally have never seen one like it.Does any one have an idea as to its size? I have looked on several other sites but got no indication as to what I am looking for.

DARTDALE said:
Ok,here is what I need help figuring out.I have a friend with a 1979 Mercury Cougar XR7,rear end is the only thing left.Trying to figure out if it has an 8.8 or a 9 inch.Couldnt get under car far enough to get any numbers,however the end of the axle shaft has 4 holes in the center section,not one big one ,not 2 small ones with a smaller one in the center.I personally have never seen one like it.Does any one have an idea as to its size? I have looked on several other sites but got no indication as to what I am looking for.

Try a FORD site?

http://www.cougarclub.org/database/decoderbook.shtml

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/79-C...oryZ6339QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Look under the car to see if there is a cover to remove?If there is no cover,its a 9" ford rear end.If there is a cover,its a 8.8,Mrmopartech

Thanks guys,it has no cover in rear its solid and the punkin comes out the front.so it must be a 9 inch.In fact the fellow who owns it came by today and said it was for a fact a 9 inch,he just did not know if it was a small axle shaft or large.

A ford nine inch, quick id is, if you can get a socket on the two lowest bolts holding the center section on, it is an 8 inch, you can only get a wrench on a ford 9, also Mercury used a 8.75 inch rear axle, not one of fords better plans, so gear sets are limited. Rick

-
Back