metal in oil pan

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
I pulled my oil pan today to put in my new oil pump. I found metal in the pan. I dont mean shavings, I mean slivers of metal. some curved, real thin. The longest was about an 1" 1/2 long 1/4 " thick. What do you guys think it is?

lets hope this works

engine metal.jpg

Hows your comression, any noise, anything wrong with the motor?
What kind of motor is it, what has been done to it?

its a 68 318. I dont know if there is any noise because i havent installed it yet. Im pulling my slant and putting it in. The only thing ive done is change the cam,lifters,heads and springs.

Chunks of valve seal are the hard black things. The circlip could be from a lifter, but I've never seen a lifter using a clip of that type. Maybe a dropped item from a tool? Something that clips to one's keychain? The section of metal looks like a peice of poiston ring or ring land... Does the engine smoke at all?

no. no compression test, ithought the engine had to be running, or at least sealed (which mine isnt) to do that.

If it is the piston ring, should i just rip it apart and bore the block 30 over?

TAKE A HACKSAW AND CUT THE OIL FILTER APART AND SEE WHAT IS IN THERE. YOUR 318 MAY BE A BOAT ANCHOR . JMO
100_0560a.jpg
[/IMG]

no oil filter on it. I got it from a guy to put in. He says it ran when pulled.
What can i look at or look for to see whats up.

The thing that looks like a key chain is from the timeing cover....i figured that much out. The water pump went bad and carved a hole or a grove in the timing cover.

My intake,valve covers timing cover and oil pan are off. Can i do a compression test or do i need to put these back on?

7172 duster said:
TAKE A HACKSAW AND CUT THE OIL FILTER APART AND SEE WHAT IS IN THERE. YOUR 318 MAY BE A BOAT ANCHOR . JMO
100_0560a.jpg
[/IMG]

Please dont say that!!!! I dont have the money to get another :sad1:

ive never seen the rings nor hve i seen them in person(just cataloge) but the big piece seems to flat and not curved to be a ring. am i wrong

I must of been tired. The big piece sure looks curved today LOL. any ideas
If this is a ring, what kind of damage could of been caused? What should I do to have it checked? Should i have it bored 30 over?

If i do have it bored .30 over, can i use the stock rods if say i go with some KB or something?

It it was me I would be opening up the motor and pushing out the pistons, those pieces don't look very promising.

Chuck

To get peices of ring or ring lands in your pan you have to have a broken piston. It will be very noticable. The cylinder could get a gouge in it from a broken ring but 99% of them can be removed with a bore job. Broken ring lands and rings is a very common thing if you let your motor to continue to detonate (ping).

Chuck

-
Back