metal intake gaskets

-

jrc4y4

Reaction score
So, I put on my aluminum intake with Printoseal gaskets Fel-Pro Performance Intake Manifold Gasket Sets 1213 only to find out that I didn't put enough RTV on the ends. So I just picked up some gaskets from O'Reilly yesterday instead of going to Summit. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../1972/plymouth/scamp?q=intake+manifold+gasket

And it turns out they are metal. I heard somewhere not to use the metal gaskets with an aluminum intake? Is that the case or just folklore? And do I need to put down RTV around the ports on the intake or the head side? Thanks for any help.

I expect everyone who responds will agree that you used the correct type gasket the first time. We dont know exactly where you didn't add enough RTV. General consensus is felpro gaskets, don't use those cork end pieces and remove the dowel pins from the block, aftermarket/aluminum intake or not.
I can't predict using those metal shim stock gaskets would lead to yet another do over. I leave that to those who have been down that road. I used the above advised plan to place a later model cast iron dual plane 2 barrel intake on my 273 about 3 years ago with excellent results.

I used metal on my 318 with the aluminum intake (like everyone say's not to do) and didn't have a single problem with it for the entire time they were on there (4 years)
Then when I built my 5.9 I used the print O seal gaskets.
A film of RTV around all the ports (coolant and intake both) on the intake and heads (not on the gaskets)
By film I mean barely enough RTV to even see it's color.

Like I said, it was fine for years, but I would only recommend someone with a lot of experience with RTV do it.

The big concern about using the metal gaskets with an aluminum intake is the dis similar metals possibly causing a corrosive reaction, but I saw zero indication of that happening.

Now, all that said I would recommend you take the metals back and get the Print O seal. :D

Yeah the first didn't work because I didn't put enough RTV on the ends in place of the cork, leaving a gap. I'll return the metal ones to the parts store then. Thanks for the info. I'll order the original ones I had.

If you haven't taken the manifold back off, just put the rtv on your finger and wipe it over the the gaps where you didn't have enough rtv.

The temptation was there but I figured it would come back to haunt me if I tried to just cover it.

The bead of RTV would need to be as big as the cork. I laid the cork in place and drawed around it with a sharpie so even though it wasn't installed it came in handy.
A big ol' bead such as this needs ample time to cure all the way through. It doesn't cure fast once its exterior skins over.

The bead of RTV would need to be as big as the cork. I laid the cork in place and drawed around it with a sharpie so even though it wasn't installed it came in handy.
A big ol' bead such as this needs ample time to cure all the way through. It doesn't cure fast once its exterior skins over.

Good idea to outline the cork. Thanks!

I run em right after assembly, and again never a problem.
One that always made me nervous was a shop that I was at used ONLY RTV to seal trans pans and would run them as soon as the vehicle was back on the ground and filled with fluid.
These were even the pans with the raised rim around the bolts so they didn't crush the gasket and still only RTV.
Couldn't believe they never had a catastrophic fluid leak.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I guess that stuff is better than what we give credit for. Pick up my synthetic gaskets today. So do I put some RTV on the intake and the head side as well?

I added a little bit of RTV at the 4 water ports, opposite side of their pre printed sealant. Don't know if it was needed. Called it insurance. I trimmed away the little tangs that are supposed to fit into notches in the cork too. Just imagined that 100% silicone in those corners would be better than interrupted. Crazy? Probably

-
Back