Methanol/Water injection

-

kocuda

Reaction score
I currently have a big block with 12.5 to 1 compression and am finding it harder to find racing fuel. Snow Performance claims their system will boost octane of pump gas up to 116. Does anyone have any experience with this system, does it work? The $500 bucks the system costs would sure beat the cost of an engine rebuild, if it works. Anyone?

I currently have a big block with 12.5 to 1 compression and am finding it harder to find racing fuel. Snow Performance claims their system will boost octane of pump gas up to 116. Does anyone have any experience with this system, does it work? The $500 bucks the system costs would sure beat the cost of an engine rebuild, if it works. Anyone?

bump

I am not sure about the Methanol but a friend has been using water injection for years, he can't say if he notices a change but it grabs some attention. He just uses a washer bottle and the vacuum from the carb sucks it in, he does have a small needle valve to control the flow.
Maybe rig something like this as a temp solution to see if it does indeed make a difference before laying out the coin.
AL

I am not sure about the Methanol but a friend has been using water injection for years, he can't say if he notices a change but it grabs some attention. He just uses a washer bottle and the vacuum from the carb sucks it in, he does have a small needle valve to control the flow.
Maybe rig something like this as a temp solution to see if it does indeed make a difference before laying out the coin.
AL

I apprciate any input.
I should have mentioned this is a heavy cammed, 700 plus horse power engine that only sees street use and the 110 octane fuel thing has become a real problem. I would like to drive it more and am looking for a solution short of an engine rebuild.

I apprciate any input.
I should have mentioned this is a heavy cammed, 700 plus horse power engine that only sees street use and the 110 octane fuel thing has become a real problem. I would like to drive it more and am looking for a solution short of an engine rebuild.

bump

Hang on now... I'm not on all the time.. This is the first I've seen of your thread!

So...

Water/methanol injection is like magic!! Ok... not really... here is how it works.

Way back in world war ll we were having trouble keeping up with the Germans with their planes... To put it nicely.. We were getting our but kicked!!! because our planes had a lower ceiling(how high they could fly, limited by power and detonation resistance ect.) and were slower. Until someone had the great idea to inject water into the engine to keep the engine from detonating(pre-ignition) by acting like a heat sink. also have you ever tried to burn water? it doesn't work to well so it has the side benefit of slowing down the tendency to fire on its own (think compression ignition like a deisel). Their is a name for that but it escapes me at the moment. If this was not enough it also burns cleaner and keeps your combustion chamber clean(further minimizing the chance for pre-ignition). So needless to say the Germans didn't figure out our trick till after the war and we won.

Onto Automotive applications. All the above properties make it great for people looking to run high compression (boost especially) and make more power on lower quality gas. With Boost the water injection practically makes miracles happen. And I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well on N/A engines. The only problem with using it to run lower quality Gas is that you CANNOT RUN OUT OF WATER!!!!!!!! or you can pretty much kiss your engine goodbye. The Methanol adds a extra measure of fuel and changes things up a bit. but just plain water should work just fine with 12.5/1. But you have to actually squirt it not just use vacuum to get the most benefit. I would say Call up Snow performance and ask them what they would suggest for your application. I know the info might be a little biased because they sell it, but they are the leaders in water/methanol injection. Just make sure you talk to a tech not a sales person. after that you could either buy a kit or make your own system. here is a link to a page that tells you how and what parts you need. then you can run windshield washer fluid or distilled water.

http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html

I am building a supercharged SB for one of my Dusters and I will have it on it. I should be able to run 87 with five lbs of boost.

And... That is my opinion.

Hope it helps...

Benjamin

Hang on now... I'm not on all the time.. This is the first I've seen of your thread!

So...

Water/methanol injection is like magic!! Ok... not really... here is how it works.

Way back in world war ll we were having trouble keeping up with the Germans with their planes... To put it nicely.. We were getting our but kicked!!! because our planes had a lower ceiling(how high they could fly, limited by power and detonation resistance ect.) and were slower. Until someone had the great idea to inject water into the engine to keep the engine from detonating(pre-ignition) by acting like a heat sink. also have you ever tried to burn water? it doesn't work to well so it has the side benefit of slowing down the tendency to fire on its own (think compression ignition like a deisel). Their is a name for that but it escapes me at the moment. If this was not enough it also burns cleaner and keeps your combustion chamber clean(further minimizing the chance for pre-ignition). So needless to say the Germans didn't figure out our trick till after the war and we won.

Onto Automotive applications. All the above properties make it great for people looking to run high compression (boost especially) and make more power on lower quality gas. With Boost the water injection practically makes miracles happen. And I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work just as well on N/A engines. The only problem with using it to run lower quality Gas is that you CANNOT RUN OUT OF WATER!!!!!!!! or you can pretty much kiss your engine goodbye. The Methanol adds a extra measure of fuel and changes things up a bit. but just plain water should work just fine with 12.5/1. But you have to actually squirt it not just use vacuum to get the most benefit. I would say Call up Snow performance and ask them what they would suggest for your application. I know the info might be a little biased because they sell it, but they are the leaders in water/methanol injection. Just make sure you talk to a tech not a sales person. after that you could either buy a kit or make your own system. here is a link to a page that tells you how and what parts you need. then you can run windshield washer fluid or distilled water.

http://www.turbomirage.com/water.html

I am building a supercharged SB for one of my Dusters and I will have it on it. I should be able to run 87 with five lbs of boost.

And... That is my opinion.

Hope it helps...

Benjamin

Thanks bjkadron, any input is appriciated, and I will be making some calls. Is any one out their actually using a methanol/water injection system?

water injection works.

I would definetly figure out a way to have it turn ON anytime the throttle is WIDE OPEN....for part throttle drives I would have it set up to be OFF.

Sorta like a Nitrous System....just Water Injection.

Water/Meth Injections works MAGIC with turbocharged systems because the turbocharger actually introduces some heat into the charge air....When the turbocharger starts compressing the air and forcing it into the engine, the compressor outlet tempatures can exceed 250* going into the carb/throttle body.

By running an adjustable Hobbs Pressure Switch, a forced induction guy can have the system turn ON anytime BOOST PRESSURE passes the setpoint for the Pressure Switch...thus injecting water/meth into the 250* degree air path stripping 100+ degrees out of the charge air.

I would attempt water/meth injection before I tore the engine down and reduced the Compression.

Just set up a WOT throttle switch, instead of a Pressure switch!

Thirty plus years ago there was a system available that did the same basic thing. It consisted of a tank with a pump like a windshield washer uses mounted to it, tubing, various sizes of "jets" to control the amount of fluid injected, & an electronic box that measured vacuum & turned the system on & off. It was made for water but they also said you could add alcohol to the reservoir. I think the company was called Spearco or something like that. They originally had a single stage system then later they had a system that was 2 stage to increase the amount of fluid injected under heavier load. I think the systems were about $30 to $50. I have a couple of them laying around, new in the boxes, but not at all sure where they are at the moment.

-
Back