MIcrowave "safe" my ***

-

dibbons

Reaction score
I was reading on the internet that "microwave safe" has no legal meaning. I made some oatmeal today in a bowl that was placed on a "microwave safe" dinner plate in case it might have spilled over. The oatmeal in the bowl was just barely warm, the bowl it was in was barely warm, the dinner plate was so dang hot, I could not take it out of the microwave oven with my bare hands (I tried three times). When I was a kid, the food always got warm and the plates and bowls stayed pretty cool. There is something going on around here and I suspect China made products may have something to do with it. Anyone else had the same observations?

One more thing............My rage is pretty much directed at the FCC and their lack of enforcement of RF interference from products.

I was reading on the internet that "microwave safe" has no legal meaning. I made some oatmeal today in a bowl that was placed on a "microwave safe" dinner plate in case it might have spilled over. The oatmeal in the bowl was just barely warm, the bowl it was in was barely warm, the dinner plate was so dang hot, I could not take it out of the microwave oven with my bare hands (I tried three times). When I was a kid, the food always got warm and the plates and bowls stayed pretty cool. There is something going on around here and I suspect China made products may have something to do with it. Anyone else had the same observations?

The plate didn't melt or damage your microwave though, did it? :D
"Microwave safe"

Never microwave plastic. Period. No matter what it says. The chemicals and **** in there leach into the food.

Glass/porcelain is the way to go.

The thing is, "ceramic" can cover a lot of ground, as well. Say someone makes a bowl out of mud, with a high carbon content..............................boom!!

Even glass is not immune. Paint / dye products in the glass, or lead....

I don't like eating anything microwaved. Period.

The thing is, "ceramic" can cover a lot of ground, as well. Say someone makes a bowl out of mud, with a high carbon content..............................boom!!

Even glass is not immune. Paint / dye products in the glass, or lead....

Xacly, :D

I don't like eating anything microwaved. Period.

Your not in full on tinfoil hat land are ya? LOL

Xacly, :D

Your not in full on tinfoil hat land are ya? LOL

I cannot stand how food turns out. Most meats are like rubber. They do not heat food consistently either.

I cannot stand how food turns out. Most meats are like rubber. They do not heat food consistently either.

Oh, I know.
Especially with meats and usually is because it overheated it, and I notice pork and chicken change for the worse faster than beef.

I don't either. I use mine for heating a cup of water in the morning for tea or coffee, for thawing ice cream, and a few other things. I don't really cook anything in it. I got "semi seriously" injured years and years ago 'cuz of a microwave.

I had some hard boiled eggs, and decided to have a late night weekend snack. This was about 1AM. I pulled one out shelled it, cut it in half and heated it in the microwave. Put some butter on, went in and sat down. Then I remember.......got up, went and got the pepper. Put some pepper back on. Sat back down.

SO ALL THAT TIME, maybe nearly a minute

Took a bit out, and the white EXPLODED and cut my lip, and injected a nice big gob of SALT AND PEPPER right into the wound

Some beach hurt for a coupla' days.

nuker is for reheating stuff... NOT for cooking and ya gotta be careful as hell too. The only exception is scrambled eggs - they actually come out fluffier in the nuke than they do in a pan - I zap an egg every day.

image.jpeg
From my short research last year on this subject, I read that many ceramic items obtain micro-fractures in the glazed surface over time. This allows more and more water into the porous ceramic material, which will be heated/flashed by the microwave. Since the surface area of the bowl or plate is usually larger than the food on it, the bowl or plate will absorb more of the microwaves making the bowl or plate much hotter than the food.

This drove my wife crazy. She was telling me that we needed a new microwave because it was broken (that,s why I did the research). So our fix was buying Pyrex bowls for microwave use and if one gets hot when nuked, we chuck it.

LOL LOL It's just to funny to remember! When we were in our 20's my best friends wife (dumbbell!!!) Put 2 dozen - yes I said 2 DOZEN eggs in a big bowl with a napkin over it for Easter eggs !!!??? It blew the microwave door off and clean across the kitchen! LOL Anytime that story comes up, we just laugh and laugh :thumbsup:

LOL LOL It's just to funny to remember! When we were in our 20's my best friends wife (dumbbell!!!) Put 2 dozen - yes I said 2 DOZEN eggs in a big bowl with a napkin over it for Easter eggs !!!??? It blew the microwave door off and clean across the kitchen! LOL Anytime that story comes up, we just laugh and laugh :thumbsup:
Thank goodness for the napkin! That door would still be in orbit....:rofl:

Microwaves don't heat food, they just annoy water molecules.
Either the ceramic itself or the glaze has metallic components that create a short circuit internally within.
I have never owned and plan to never own a microwave "oven",

Microwaves don't heat food, they just annoy water molecules.
Either the ceramic itself or the glaze has metallic components that create a short circuit internally within.
I have never owned and plan to never own a microwave "oven",
I know - they save energy ($$) and time... screw that..
...scrambled eggs in 1-2 min. - baked potato in 5-7 min..

I have heard stories where my cousins used plates with silver metal pinstripes and saw showers of sparks inside the "oven" as the currents burnt out the silver pinstripes,

I have heard stories where my cousins used plates with silver metal pinstripes and saw showers of sparks inside the "oven" as the currents burnt out the silver pinstripes,
yep - I have no doubt of that one. But it's like any piece of equipment - use it improperly and it might bite you back... I know we all hate to, but read the directions. I have a coffee cup with a real gold edge on it - it stays out of the nuker! ...contrary to popular belief - you can put a knife, fork or a spoon in there - BUT there has to be more of the product that you are heating then there is metal - - should you do this, probably not - I mean, how hard is it to take the spoon out of a cup of water before you pop it in the nuker right?

If you want to see something interesting put a CD or DVD in there. :D
Quite the light show.
Do it in an old one outside because it stinks to high heaven.

And if you REALLY like light shows take a gallon olive (or something) glass jar and fill it with electrolyte. (battery acid)
Use an extension cord with a section of old lamp cord plugged into it.
Strip a few inches off the ends of the lamp cord wire and attach the bare ends to the jar with the wire ends down in the electrolyte, and go plug the extension cord into the wall.
Everyone in your neighborhood will think aliens are landing or something.
It's pretty much like an arc welder light so don't look directly at it, but the multi colored light show that it produces is outrageous.
We did it in the bottom of an empty pool, and the lights coming up out of that pool looked like a sci fi movie clip.

I know, I know, crazy as hell and extremely dangerous. :D

Warning!
Not for accident prone persons or persons not familiar with electricity and acids. LOL

Last edited:
One more thing............My rage is pretty much directed at the FCC and their lack of enforcement of RF interference from products.
The FCC could stop a plethora of non-conforming devices from being shipped into the US, and fully fund themselves on fines from Part 15 devices alone.
I will stop before I go into full rant mode.

And if you REALLY like light shows take a gallon olive (or something) glass jar and fill it with electrolyte. (battery acid)
Use an extension cord with a section of old lamp cord plugged into it.
Strip a few inches off the ends of the lamp cord wire and attach the bare ends to the jar with the wire ends down in the electrolyte, and go plug the extension cord into the wall.
Everyone in your neighborhood will think aliens are landing or something.
It's pretty much like an arc welder light so don't look directly at it, but the multi colored light show that it produces is outrageous.
We did it in the bottom of an empty pool, and the lights coming up out of that pool looked like a sci fi movie clip.

I know, I know, crazy as hell and extremely dangerous. :D

Warning!
Not for accident prone persons or persons not familiar with electricity and acids. LOL
Jeeezus man - what the hell!!? LOL HOW did you discover this? (he asked with fearful trepidation)

-
Back