Hysteric

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Mopar Joe does it without anything exotic:

Here are the heads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDp9-GMMOD

Here is the Build:

He says he expects to get it into the 7's when the bugs are worked out. Great to see another "underheaded" combo making power. Congrats Joe on a good running small block.

Last edited:
Moparjoe has already pulled that engine and has a stroker in it that ran 7.20's in the 1/8. The 318 headed 360 ran lower 8's in the 1/8 (i think 8.2's mostly) which would be high 12's in the 1/4. That 360 is going in a '65 Coronet now.
Moparjoe has already pulled that engine and has a stroker in it that ran 7.20's in the 1/8. The 318 headed 360 ran lower 8's in the 1/8 (i think 8.2's mostly) which would be high 12's in the 1/4. That 360 is going in a '65 Coronet now.
390 something or 4 something?
A well sorted 360 does well.

8.11 was the best ET for the day and considering it was his first time out with the car/engine and he had 3 issues with it he had to fix then it was only going to get faster. That 8.11 would place it somewhere in the 12.6's according to the calculator on Pro systems website Racing Calculators - Pro Systems Racing Carburetors

Not bad for home ported junk 318 heads with 1.88 stock valves done by an amateur not to mention stock rockers and a Carter 750. :lol:

Now stick that Isky Z35 solid cam in it and a single plane manifold and watch it wake up.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. Helps me in my own port work watching this.

8.11 was the best ET for the day and considering it was his first time out with the car/engine and he had 3 issues with it he had to fix then it was only going to get faster. That 8.11 would place it somewhere in the 12.6's according to the calculator on Pro systems website Racing Calculators - Pro Systems Racing Carburetors

Not bad for home ported junk 318 heads with 1.88 stock valves done by an amateur not to mention stock rockers and a Carter 750. :lol:

Now stick that Isky Z35 solid cam in it and a single plane manifold and watch it wake up.

You say the valves are 1.88/1.60 but aren’t multi angle? Got me thinking cuz I have stock cuts on my 318 heads. Same size lol.

Thanks for sharing this. Helps me in my own port work watching this.

Your welcome. Its amazing what some people can do with the junk others overlook or throw out. If you watch the video I'm sure you can figure that out. A 3 angle valve job would suffice for what you are doing.

Your welcome. Its amazing what some people can do with the junk others overlook or throw out. If you watch the video I'm sure you can figure that out. A 3 angle valve job would suffice for what you are doing.

Ok cool. They’re getting brought to the machinist on Monday to get checked out on what all they need.

My Harley Drag bike ( Ironhead Sportster) , is running low 7s (1/8) to me, that's fast, as it's completely streetable, and was my Daily here in Tampa for months. I'm impressed by his numbers. In fact, I think that's kinda Wicked!

My Harley Drag bike ( Ironhead Sportster) , is running low 7s (1/8) to me, that's fast, as it's completely streetable, and was my Daily here in Tampa for months. I'm impressed by his numbers. In fact, I think that's kinda Wicked!
well, that 7.20's is fast but it is no street car. It's strickly drag. I like Mopar joe's content and we chat now and then.
  • I've deleted my posts, I'm sure this thread will end like the others of same topic. Good luck to all and goodbye :)

Last edited:
well, that 7.20's is fast but it is no street car. It's strickly drag. I like Mopar joe's content and we chat now and then.
I know, it Really is Apples to Oranges. Mine was raced a Sunshine Speedway in the 90s quite a bit. The owner/ rider owned Tampa V-Twin. And she is way heavier than me. At the time I was riding to Framing jobs, strapped with tools ( a Sawzall w/ a 12" blade flying outta saddlebags gives the motorists a Lil something to consider, lol) it was 04. There is NO Way in Hell I would even consider it today. Unless I had to...I'm 18 years older, and the amount of people here on the roads is bad enough, then consider the ones that ain't got a cell shoved in their faces, never drove till they got here...

• I've deleted my posts, I'm sure this thread will end like the others of same topic. Good luck to all and goodbye :)
Wow, what happened Dude? I enjoy reading your conversations. I've even checked yer U Tube...wtf? I was simply saying, as I have had one of my 318s sitting next to my 340( with maxed out J heads) , considering the port sizes, that's pretty darn Brutal Man!

Wow, what happened Dude? I enjoy reading your conversations. I've even checked yer U Tube...wtf? I was simply saying, as I have had one of my 318s sitting next to my 340( with maxed out J heads) , considering the port sizes, that's pretty darn Brutal Man!
That wasn't to you... I'm just saying the other threads these guys battled in about 302 heads vs the world got super ugly. I decided I will withdraw my post and opinions and not be on the train when it wrecks :)

The 302s? That's the swirl ports?
yeah.... the op here believes the 318 heads are the beans and others see them as boat anchors. In the end, extreme name calling and whatever. The op is using joes video's to "prove" just how good 318 heads are.... thus continuing the arguments of the other threads. So, I'm out LOL

yeah.... the op here believes the 318 heads are the beans and others see them as boat anchors. In the end, extreme name calling and whatever. The op is using joes video's to "prove" just how good 318 heads are.... thus continuing the arguments of the other threads. So, I'm out LOL

I almost didn’t buy the 302 heads for my 318 just cuz I didn’t want to hear the negativity lol. But they had bigger valves and were available so it’s whatever.

I picked up a set at Don's many years ago. In think 10 or 20 bucks. Bare castings. Never got to do anything, as they were stolen from me. Just like my .060 over 392 Hemi with 12.5:1 Jhans was... and I don't even want to bring up who burnt me on a set of 354 heads....

I am absolutely not bagging on anything posted in this thread. I just wanted to say that back in 1969 I had a 69 FB Barracuda Formula S 340, 4 speed, 3.23s. Bone stock except for headers. It ran 8.23 in the 1/8th on street tires. I would expect a well prepped car to go much faster than only 0.12 seconds faster than mine did. I will admit that I was always shocked at how well that stock 340 ran. And don't think I don't remember the right number. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I am absolutely not bagging on anything posted in this thread. I just wanted to say that back in 1969 I had a 69 FB Barracuda Formula S 340, 4 speed, 3.23s. Bone stock except for headers. It ran 8.23 in the 1/8th on street tires. I would expect a well prepped car to go much faster than only 0.12 seconds faster than mine did. I will admit that I was always shocked at how well that stock 340 ran. And don't think I don't remember the right number. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Pure stock 440 Barracuda only runs 13.51:

I would be very surprised if yours actually ran 8.2's with a stock trim 340.

Nice run! I also ran a 8.23 with my 360. I have 3.23's also. Mine has a stone stock automatic and converter behind it. My cam is less than a factory 340. I too have headers with full exhaust out the back. I have OOTB speedmaster heads, 730 bucks to my door LOL. They didn't do much because my cam is so small.

Pure stock 440 Barracuda only runs 13.51:

I would be very surprised if yours actually ran 8.2's with a stock trim 340.

I was surprised too. I beat all kinds of big block cars street racing back then. One of the few times I lost was to a well prepped 340 Duster. But I tell you it was 8.23

-
Back