Mig welders

-

D-mailman

Reaction score
Going to invest in a mig welding set up. Wanting to know what you have used out there and what you think of them. Not needing anything super expensive, maybe $500. - $600. range. just for home shop use. Body work, light welding header repair, ect. I already have a good stick welding set up now. just need something for light work. Thanks for your input. Terry.

Terry, I have a Sears unit. I can get the specs for you if you want.
So far, no problem with anything. I got it for the same reasons.
Frame repair up next.
Check my latest post in the resto area.
Oh, forgot, it's a 110/120 volt unit.
Rob

I have a 110 camble housefield (yeah the air compressor people) it is the flux core only type and works great for anything up to about 1/8 (1/8 is pushing it). this welder has given me almost 10 years of trouble free use, and has ben used to build 3 circle track race cars. last I saw walmart was selling these welders. going to the gas set up would be a must for your neads but you would still be well under the $500 mark.
I also have a Century 220 volt with the gas setup it was around $600. the crntury has some nice features, a comfortable gun and a higher duty cycle. I have mostly only used the century with flux core wire, but it just doesnt weld as nicely as the "cheepo" 110. Ive had this welder about 3 years and have not used it near as much but it already burned up once while under waranty and they had to send me a new transformer for it (a PITA to install). I would NOT suggest the century welders!

I have a miller 135. It has the shielding gas. Works awesome. I dont think one would be more than your price range. I only have 110 power at my garage, so this was the biggest 110 machine I could get.

not wanted to hijack this thread but is it true you cant tig weld on new cars(cause of to many volts) i asked my dad he said probably not that is what they said back when people used mig welders, i was just wondering

my dad has had a miller welder for 18+years and its still holding strong, it was in use at a body shop before him, still works great, good luck with your choice :headbang:

Like Rumblefish, I use the Sears one too. They are made in Italy and seem to be of high quality. I bought it about a year ago and it has never given me any trouble. I think I paid about $340 for it, the you'll need a suitible regulator that reads in cfh (cubic foot per hour), about $50-75$, a tank $100-$150(I bought a 20 cubic footer from Harbor Freight for $60, went to the welding supply house and they gave me an $80 dollar trade in on a 40 cubic footer!), get a 40, they fit perfect on the Craftsmen welding cart that came with the welder and you wont be running out to the welding shop for a refill every other week. Part # is on the welder on the upper right hand side. I also attached a sample of some of the work I did with it.

Here's the part # if you can't read it from the picture: 20569

Oh yeah, if you can afford it, get a decent welding mask. I prefer the auto-darkening ones, they make all the differrence in the world.

P5070164.JPG

P6170290.JPG

1966 dart wagon said:
not wanted to hijack this thread but is it true you cant tig weld on new cars(cause of to many volts) i asked my dad he said probably not that is what they said back when people used mig welders, i was just wondering

my dad has had a miller welder for 18+years and its still holding strong, it was in use at a body shop before him, still works great, good luck with your choice :headbang:

ANY electronics should be disconected or removed before welding with anything but straight gas. This includes MSD boxes.

headsbikesmopars, headers are tough to weld without burning through. TIG welders are best for this kind of work, but it can be done with a MIG. Use .024 wire and practice on an old set first. Voltage setting "A" and wire feed setting "5" would be a good place to start with the crapsman welder. Make sure all rust and paint is removed from where you plan to weld.

Get one with gas capability. It's near impossible to weld automotive sheet metal with the flux core stuff. Flux core has a higher temp arc and the flux sprays off the end of the wire both of which consprire to blow holes in your work.

Also, get a unit that the local welding supply house sells parts for. I have a Linclon 3200HD, it's a 120v unit and will weld anything you need to do on a car. This unit works great and has not given me any problems at all.

Thanks guys, I knew you would come thru. Exactly what I was wanting to know. As they say.."ask the man who has one". Again,..thanks. Terry.

I have a Lincoln 3200HD Weld Pak Flux & Gas ready. Haven't used it much yet, but I like it. small, 120V, and it'll doo the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

Yea, a gas bottle is what I could use next. Body panels would thank me when the go on.
Get one with gas capability. It's near impossible to weld automotive sheet metal with the flux core stuff. Flux core has a higher temp arc and the flux sprays off the end of the wire both of which consprire to blow holes in your work.

Glad you made the mention DGC.

-
Back