might take the plunge -- or not

-

rdb

Reaction score
Well, the '64 Dart is thru state inspection. Sending out the radio for service,then the engine is taken out for the full body repaint incl engine bay, new top after that. but w/ engine out, if there were ever a time to make the switch from auto to 3 on tree, this would be it.

I have learned here that the 4 speeds did not offer any reduction in rpm @ given speed, espeically 60, so what's the point. So guess I have to troll for black steering column complete, pedal assembly and of course the transmission and related stuff. Or once I get the estimate, I might just stay w/ the PB auto, which is not my thing.

Even if it stays PB, looking for black '64 steering wheel as mine is all worn down... this wear one reason I am sure it went around once to the 43xxx it is now. This 50 year old car is the first auto trans I have ever had. Still having loads of fun driving this. I had hoped to not have power steering, but this car has it and it is the lightest steering I ever felt. I thought something had to be wrong with that kind of response... but guy said Chrysler of the era was like that.

the old Mopar PS was notorious for " no feel"! I always change over the a manual unit, but then it involves changing the column or getting an " adaptor" to take up the difference in column length.
the three speed tranny has rep for not being that good to shift. most people chunk the 3 on the tree and go to 4 speed or at least 3 speed and floor shift, that is if they want to spend the $$ to change over...

-
Back