Mike's Dart

-
Well I made a little more progress this week. My brother and i got the rear end all cleaned up and painted and bolted it up. Still looking for some brakes to put on so I can get it back off the stands. Enjoy!

Rear 002.jpg

Rear 003.jpg

Well I made a little more progress this week. My brother and i got the rear end all cleaned up and painted and bolted it up. Still looking for some brakes to put on so I can get it back off the stands. Enjoy!

Nice work so far!
Where did you get the leaf springs from? I notice they are 5 leaf, are they the orginal bend or are they HD?

Nice work so far!
Where did you get the leaf springs from? I notice they are 5 leaf, are they the orginal bend or are they HD?

The springs are garden variety SS Springs from Mancini racing. 1-002 for the pass side and 1-003 for the driver side. No bend or drop.

Just a "FYI" on that spoiler......

.. it WILL look great on the car, but the black steel mounting plates need to be repainted before you install with a good grade of rust proof coating....I've found that even something like "Rust-Cap" black will work great.....without it, they will rust even from dampness and ruin the look of the install.........

Also, the allen bolts supplied are generally garbage black steel as well....Go to the hardware and get a couple of replacements in Stainless Steel.....you will NOT regret it later on.........

Doc :wav:

You may want to flip the front spring hanger while its up. The 002/003s will sit really high if you dont.

You may want to flip the front spring hanger while its up. The 002/003s will sit really high if you dont.

I've been wrestling with that for the last couple days. How much do you think that will lower the back by flipping them? Which two holes should I drill out to make it line up after flipping it?

Alright, thanks to Adam for giving me a much needed kick in the ***! I went ahead and flipped the front spring hangers this morning. MUCH better. I also found some 10x2.75 inch rear brakes off a 73 Dodge pickup this afternoon. Looks like I'll be busy tomorrow. I'll snap some pics and post them tomorrow.

Well I got the drivers side brake drum assembly put on today and slid my mock up wheel and tire on there. Do you think that 9/16" clearance from the sidewall to the inner fender lip is ebough clearance? I've attached some pics to help. Oh, and I put a jack under the rear to see what ride height should be. I have Adam to thank for that extra push to flip the rear hangers. Let me know what yall think. Thanks

Mike

Rear Wheels 003.jpg

Rear Wheels 004.jpg

Rear Wheels 005.jpg

I new set of dogs on your Mopar always feels good. Nice.

Great. Thanks. I really wouldnt think I would get much tire flex on the outside. I guess I'll leave it alone and see what happens.

Were those stock discs or a kit? What was the scoop I have a 71 dart with 318 but it has drum I want to change it out...

They are from a 1973 dart. I believe any a-body from 973 and up will bolt right to your 71 as long as you grab all the necessary parts. there are a lot of threads on this subjet that can walk you through it. It will also give you the big bolt pattern so wheels are easier to find. I spent about 325 with all the parts I needed to do the swap. i like the idea of factory parts and they are a lot cheaper than the kits I found. It was a very easy swap, and i went ahead and added a booster too. This thing stops a hell of a lot better now! Any more questions let me know.

Mike

Well. The rear end and brakes are buttoned up, so I dropped it back on the ground. Slapped on my 245/60-15 BFG's on the rear to see how it would sit. I couldnt be happier with the stance. Another thank you to Adam for recommending that I flip the front spring hangers! Let me know what yall think. Next step-STROKER!!!!

100_0584.jpg

100_0585.jpg

100_0586.jpg

Thanks Adam. Unfortunately the house in the pics is my neighbor! Mine is a single story ranch, about 1700 sq ft. but, it has a garage, which is all i need.

Yeah, its pretty quiet. That neighbor is actually a cop and he is in love with my Dart. He had a 67 once upon a time and comes over to check on mine at least once a week. He was over today when I put the tires on.

Thanks spaz. I think I'll begin the hunt for a good 360 that wants to be a 408soon. I've got a baby coming in July so I want to get as much done as I can now!!

-
Back