Mild 318 misses at 3000rpm

-
New adjustable dizzy in. Still misses
Going to put a new module in right at the dizzy and see what happens

Problem Solved!
I moved the HEI module to be right at the coil and dizzy. Checked timing and it was 50* at idle, yet it was 18* when module was at the old location.

Set timing at 18* and she runs great. Took the car out for a ride and man, this little 318 makes some amazing power!!

Thanks for all
The help
FAB3A52D-31C9-472D-AB59-C69C684A5B43.jpeg

F92C91D1-44B9-4AD4-ABE5-59B6F3D43E99.jpeg

Problem Solved!
I moved the HEI module to be right at the coil and dizzy. Checked timing and it was 50* at idle, yet it was 18* when module was at the old location.
Weird... is there any possibility that the distributor sensor wires were flipped in the process? Any module (HEI or otherwise) triggers off of a + going edge from the reluctor, which is the leading edge of the reluctor pulse if all is set up right. If the wires get flipped, then the module will trigger off of the trailing edge, which will make the actual timing vary all over the map. That would explain the big change in timing.

Regardless, that was a vexing problem; you get a lot of credit for the persistence to figure this out.

Weird... is there any possibility that the distributor sensor wires were flipped in the process? Any module (HEI or otherwise) triggers off of a + going edge from the reluctor, which is the leading edge of the reluctor pulse if all is set up right. If the wires get flipped, then the module will trigger off of the trailing edge, which will make the actual timing vary all over the map. That would explain the big change in timing.

Regardless, that was a vexing problem; you get a lot of credit for the persistence to figure this out.
I am pretty anal about that kinda thing, but I have to admit, that is such a no-brainer thing, I didn't check that.
I still have the circuit with the plug for the dizzy on it. When I get home I will check it out if I had those reversed, that would be a pisser.
The red and the black wires on the same screw (just to keep things tidy since they are not in use) terminal block above were the circuit to the reluctor, so it will be easy to look back at it. either way, it's a lesson learned.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to find out the polarity.... if it is OK, then is says that the long lengths really messed up the reluctor pulses .... maybe induced from the spark plug wires.... those particular spark plug wires are not standard resistance wires and so may produce a higher EM field around them. Or running too far in a harness somehow got noise pulses into it. But that would seem to cause random a lot of the time..... and not a steady retarded by 32 degrees like you found.

-
Back