Mild 360 build: Opinions and advice wanted.

-

willyj

Reaction score
So far here is what I am starting out with.

I have a bare 360 block that is .060 over. The machine work has been done and it is fresh, its sitting on the stand ready to go. A wrist pin let go and scored a cylinder so it was resleeved and bored out.
Casting numbers on the block are 4006830-360-7 on the left side, 7-23-78 on the right side.

There is a small R stamped on the front left side.

Heads are rebuilt/reman from AERA. Casting number on the heads are 4027596. double checked! both heads are marked/cast 4027596 on the runners. there is als a 0187 opposite the rocker shaft pedestal on one and 3536 on the other. There is also a 360 cast on one of the runners. They were used for a bit and have some carbon, no other issues though.

Intake is an Edelbrock 318-360 Performer. Casting 2176 on the underside.
Carb is a Carter AFB M6 9626S

Pistons are Keith Black KB362 + .060
-Can these be installed free floating? Or do they need to be pressed?
-Is there any performance advantage to using 318 rods from a 1988/89 block?

Have a question on the crank. I moved and everything was in storage for a while. I did not store it proper and now I have flash rust on the journals. Can that be emery or steel wool cleaned off or is there a proper way to do that?

Have not picked a cam yet. Any advice would be appreciated.
Anything I should change or do before I start assembly? Already have all the bearings, gaskets and plugs. Have a new Melling oil pump and a new oil pump shaft. Distributor is a mopar performance model with the orange box with wiring kit.

Have not picked exhaust yet.

Little history. I have a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda I picked up in 2002. I have been hauling this car around 10+ years, have not even put 100 miles on the car since I have owned it. I finally got a stable place with a nice garage to work in. I have had this engine and all the parts and pieces for 4 years an could never get the time to work on. Most of the stuff was gathered from horse trading. Picked and pulled off of other projects. I have a 1985 Ramcharger also but that is a working truck. Not sure what I want to do. Stick the 360 in the Ramcharger (which I drive daily) or put it in the Barracuda. Either way I have enough parts pieces and scrap to make either one work. Minus some transmission and accelerator linkage.

Again any advice and opinion would be appreciated as to the best course of action with what I have on hand. Oh.... I halso have a 318 crate block on another stand read to go in either vehicle. I collected stuff when I was riding high on the hog. Not so much now but glad I hung on too it.

What do you want out of the engine? What are you trying to do with the car?
What is the gear ratio & tire size?

No real gain with 318 rods.
Check the Keith Black web site for piston useages.
Have a machinist check the crank out since your description may vary from the pi tire in my head.

What size valves in the heads? Dead stock?

Cam opinions will vary greatly. Well need to know the gear ratio and true size as well as what your looking from the car. IMO at about 367 cubes (?) you can use a do old sized cam and make excellent power. You may also want to trade/sell the Performer for there RPM model. It'll make you a bit more power.

If I put it on the Barracuda it will be a weekend cruiser. Mated to a 904 or A500 to an 8.25 w/ 3.23s or lower (2.9s). I live in Elko, NV and we have the Silver state race which is a a highway high speed bracket race. I am also not to far from the Bonneville. I want to make the car fast. Stiffer upgrade suspension, four wheel disc and that's it.
Shooting for 120-150 mph.
If it goes in the Ramcharger it would be a fun toy/weekend warrior daily driver with a 35 mile daily commute. It would be turning 33s with a 727 and half ton gear 4x4 hunting rig on 3.23s.

-
Back