Military

-

mikesduster

Reaction score
After the death of Bin Laden and the use of the Navy Seal 6 team I started to think about why they used the Seals and not the Marines,Green Beret or the Rangers??
Another question is..What is the difference between them and HOW do you choose which ones to use during a mission??

Seal Team 6 is equal to 1st Detachment Delta (Delta Force). These two teams have WAY WAY more training then both the Marines and the average grunt. The Marines and Rangers are basically Riflemen, with the fact that if Special Force guys need extra man power they can draw on the Rangers (who have more training then the average grunt) to aid in a mission if they are nearby. To put it in terms everybody can get on D-Day 1944, Seal Team 6 would be the guys that parachuted in the night before to take highly value targets, the Marines would storm the beachs and create a foot (or toe, whichever you prefer) hold, with the Rangers being the major pushing/driving force in pushing the Germans back to Germany.

If I recall, the current Joint Chief of Staff is an Admiral. You just gotta believe he'd pull in one for the home team.
Daryl

What he said...a basic infantry Marine is about the same as the berets or rangers. Marine Recon has the capabilities and training of SEALS, but a different mission (mainly reconnoissance). SEAL's were the ones for this mission, which included not only the reconnoissance, but also the execution.

Seals are the best of the best. As sailor or Marine you can op to go to Seal training ,If your chosen.I've known several Seals . You will not find a better focused more humble person. Their training is brutal. Their basic training last about a year weeding out the weak . Out of 150 or so recruit they may end up with only a handful. Their training never ends ,Seal team 6 does alot of ops with the CIA and team members will rotate out every two or three years due to burn out. I'am very proud to known the Seals that I have met.

Seals are the best of the best. As sailor or Marine.
I agree 100% they are the best of the best that you can get from the naval realm. 1st detachment Delta is the best of the best that you can get for the army and air force. That being said you should be now that Rangers lead the way and all else follows!

Humble? I'd like to know what SEAL's you've been talking to. They are the best at what they do, but the ones I've dealt with, for the most part, have been far from humble.

Being an old Army guy, MY thoughts when I heard Seals was "hell Delta Force could have done it just as well."

No argument here . The US has some of the best special ops teams no matter what your branch or partiality is . The joint cheifs of staff are made up of all the branches and i'm sure every concideration is made when choosing. Just so happens on sensitive operations the Seals are called. I know we all have our favorite ops teams. I think it silly to fight over who is the best instead of supporting who went in. As far as being boastful the seals i have met were not and if anyone has met a seal that was ,shame on them thats not how they are trained.

Dustoff440, Delta Force would have done just as well. From what little I know from my reading these decisions are made based on mission profile and politics. With this not being a water borne assault a team of Army Spec Ops people would have done just as well but the Navy guy probably had more political clout so it became a Seal Team 6 job.

You guys are a trip.. Everyone knows the Coast Guard trains the toughest, baddest, SOB's on the face of this earth (As I type this in my plush cubical) :---)

maybe the seals were the only ones with the top secret stealth helicopters in their arsenal.
They actually went in on Army helicopters.

USCG Charger, the coasties that are in San Diego are some bad mo-fo's...they are, on average, in better shape than the average Marine or Sailor around here. All they do is go to the gym and then go get dropped off-shore and swim back.

-
Back